Solved! new hp laptop very slow

janemw

Prominent
Apr 10, 2017
I have a new hp notebook 15-ay011nr, and it's very slow. It has McAfee antivirus pre-installed, I've heard it might be useful to remove it?

Solution
Are you nearby the router, or are you far enough away to have connection issues?

If you are on the opposite end of the house as the router (even more so if it is the ISP provided router) then that can simply be a wireless signal problem and every computer could have that problem.

Plug the laptop directly into router with ethernet cable to eliminate any connection problem and then let it run for a few hours (possibly overnight if you have a slow internet conenciton ) to allow it to backlog windows updates.

janemw

Prominent
Apr 10, 2017
Hi. I am not a technical person so these don't really make sense to me but here goes..
Processor i5-6200u 2.3ghz. 1Tb hard drive. 8192MB DDR4 SDRAM (4).
I have now uninstalled McAfee and run a scan with Windows Defender but it's made no difference. As an example I had to wait for over 10 minutes for this page to load after I had restarted the laptop. It's very disappointing as it's brand new!

Are you nearby the router, or are you far enough away to have connection issues?

If you are on the opposite end of the house as the router (even more so if it is the ISP provided router) then that can simply be a wireless signal problem and every computer could have that problem.

Plug the laptop directly into router with ethernet cable to eliminate any connection problem and then let it run for a few hours (possibly overnight if you have a slow internet conenciton ) to allow it to backlog windows updates.

Solution

janemw

Prominent
Apr 10, 2017
Thanks boosted1g. I'm near the router and other devices working ok. I've updated Windows (this took hours). Restarted, and updated again.
Next I tried PC Decrapifier which came back with NOTHING recommended to remove. Can anyone possibly recommend another bloatware removal tool? I'm reluctant to do this myself but I know there are at least a couple of game apps I don't want. Minecraft for example. Is it safe to just uninstall this?

Paul NZ

Admirable
If I were you i would get the mediacreation tool get the ISO and wipe the lot.

This will get rid of most of the bloatware that you dont need

Yup you can uninstall minecraft. I wish Win10 wouldnt install the crap apps that I dont need automatically !

janemw

Prominent
Apr 10, 2017
Aargh that sounds a bit drastic Paul NZ! I wish I could be brave enough to do that but as a non-techie with anew laptop I'm a little nervous. I'll investigate the mediacreation tool you mentioned. Having updated Windows and removed McAfee things do seem a little better. And I'll get rid of d*** Minecraft