New HTPC Build Questions

rw79

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
Hi All,

This will be my first HTPC build but about 20th PC build. I am getting two new HDTV LCD TV's next week and I am going to be putting two HTPC's together to 1. Stream Media/Netflix/Hulu?etc... 2. To watch DVD's. 3. Record things. Both TV's have HDMI and PC inputs.

My question is in reguards to the TV tuner card. Will I be using the Digital Tuner in the TV's when I put in a card and using it as a pass through or will I be using the card itself.

My plans so far are.

Micro HTPC Case
Micro MB (Looking at Gigabyte MB with onboard HDMI and Geforce 8200 series)
2 - 4 GBS of RAM
TV Tuner card as needed
WD Green HD
Remote/Wireless KB

Also I was reading that it is necessary to get a case that has S3 wakeup? Just double checking. Thanks.

HTPC Noob

In regards to the TV Tuner Card, you will be using the card's tuner capabilities unless you connect it through a cable/satellite set-top box; in which case you will use the cable box's tuner.

While the wakeup function is nice, I leave my system on 24/7 (without issue), so there is no need for S3 wakeup.

My rig:

Gigabyte GA-965GM-S2 motherboard
Intel Core2Duo E6600 processor
2GB (2x1GB) DDR2-533 RAM
AVerMedia AVerTV PCI-Ex1 TV Tuner Card
ATI HD2600Pro Graphics card
B-Enspire sound card (optical out)
NMediaPC 200BA HTPC Case
1 160GB SATAII hard drive (OS Drive)
1 750GB SATAII hard drive (Media Drive)
LG DVD-ROM Drive
Windows XP MCE 2005 OS
Microsoft Windows MCE wireless Keyboard
Pinnacle Studios MCE Remote Control

This system is hooked up to my HTPC via a DVI --> HDMI cable and to my projector via a DVI --> VGA Adapter and 50' shielded VGA cable. It's also connected to my 5.1 surround sound system via the sound card's optical out.

I use it for watching DVDs, listening to music, and Netflix Instant watch (though I could also use it for Hulu).

-Wolf sends

rw79

Distinguished
May 11, 2009

Thanks for the info. It really helped a lot. Also have you had any experience with media extenders. Man have things changed since I had a cable card in my PC 4 years ago. I like the thought of having the media center in the bedroom and then being able to stream it into the living room, but I am not sure about that. We have dish network now and have a 2 TV 1 Box DVR that we really enjoy, just not the price. My wife loves being able to tape and watch from either room. Any tips on this would be appreciated as well and thanks again for the reply. I sure have lots of reading to do.

Sorry. Not famliar with media extenders. I just have a network set up with my media folder shared out to the bedroom PC. Wireless didn't work as well as I had hoped, so I just copied my movies over to that PC as well (trust me. If you have a lot of media, you NEED a back up anyway!).

-Wolf sends

rw79

Distinguished
May 11, 2009

So after doing more research it looks like I am going to go with a New N Dual Band Router, HTPC's in Living Room and Bedroom, and a NAS Unit (two 1 TB Drives.) Now you said that you have your media folder shared out via network to the bedroom. Is it possible to save the files as they are recorded (DVR) to the NAS and then view them from there or is this just making things more complicated than they need to be. I was not sure if this was a good route, or the Media Center/Recorder system set up in the office and then streaming to client HTPC's out in the living room/bedroom, or just sharing the folders. Thanks again for your help.