New iPad's 4G LTE Data Plans and Pricing Revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.

billybobser

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
Must be raking it in for the paltry 5gb for $50.

If this whole bullshit cloud is really going to take off they must find a cheaper way to access data when outside of your home.

Not to mention how patchy wifi 'hotspots' are.

It's partly the reason my phone is still my phone and not a portable media consumation device.

kawininjazx

Distinguished
May 22, 2008
I know currently Verizon is giving double data to everyone who buys a 4G android device, so 4GB is $30, but I guess that will never apply to an iPad. Smart move on AT&T for sneaking in 3GB whereas Verizon offers 2GB for the same price. However, the chance of you getting 4G on Verizon is like 150000% more likely.

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
Another @ss raping price scheme that is now industry standard.

Sure its easy to get upset with the carriers for charging this much but I also get upset with all the dipsh!t fracking morons that buy these overpriced services and supporting the f'd up pricing structures.

It all boils down to millions of greedy stupid people with the "I must have it, I dont care what it costs" mentality. Its easy for that type of mentality to take over when your entire system is built on credit with no consequences.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]billybobser[/nom]It's partly the reason my phone is still my phone and not a portable media consumation device.[/citation]
Two words:-

Removable
Storage

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
I love this new trend of giving the consumer less for more. At least I'm grandfathered in on an actual unlimited plan, and 4G to boot. Hope the wife doesn't want 4G anytime soon, because she's unlimited on 3G and I'm not going to double what I pay so she can use half as much data twice as fast.

jl0329

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
Can anyone give me an idea of how fast the verizon 4G will be in NYC? (let's say midtown, on AVERAGE). And how's the coverage in NYC? Will I be able to notice a significant difference than 3G?

My iphone is with ATT and the coverage really SUCKS.

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
What is pissing me off is the cost of comparable data in Canada....$35 vs $50 (and the Canadian dollar is .77% stronger than the American dollar today....so cant make an exchange rate argument)

American ISPs are the greediest whores on the planet, right up there with oil companies

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]I love this new trend of giving the consumer less for more. At least I'm grandfathered in on an actual unlimited plan, and 4G to boot. Hope the wife doesn't want 4G anytime soon, because she's unlimited on 3G and I'm not going to double what I pay so she can use half as much data twice as fast.[/citation]
If you are on Verizon, just get her a 4G phone and she should be ok I believe. I switched from 3g to 4g with no plan change (still unlimited), but I did do that about a month before they went tiered, pretty sure you should be ok though

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Two words:-RemovableStorage[/citation]

Don't need removable storage. Just plug the thing into your computer and transfer what you want to transfer.

Personally, I use a 4g mifi. It allows me to connect 5 devices to it and surf the web over 4g. And the device itself is free with a 2 year contract. Don't need to spend the extra money on the LTE version of any device.

DaddyW123

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2010
[citation][nom]scook9[/nom]If you are on Verizon, just get her a 4G phone and she should be ok I believe. I switched from 3g to 4g with no plan change (still unlimited), but I did do that about a month before they went tiered, pretty sure you should be ok though[/citation]
duh - you said it yourself, it worked for you because you did it a month before verizon was tiered... if they switch now, I'd be 99.9% sure verizon would make them select a new data plan for that phone.

climber

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
Wireless carriers new exactly what they were doing in hooking people with unlimited data for dirt cheap prices for several years at the start of all this... they're like a drug dealer, hook the chump addict then rake in the profits when everyone complains but still is hooked on the product.

ArgleBargle

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2008
Well, that's a switch. Usually the Canadian plans are worse than the US plans by far. For example, with Virgin Mobility, you can get an unlimited talk and data plan in the US for significantly less than a *capped* talk and data plan in Canada (where unlimited data plans simply do not exist).

hoof_hearted

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Cell phone execs have oil for blood

[citation][nom]scook9[/nom]What is pissing me off is the cost of comparable data in Canada....$35 vs $50 (and the Canadian dollar is .77% stronger than the American dollar today....so cant make an exchange rate argument)American ISPs are the greediest whores on the planet, right up there with oil companies[/citation]

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
I am curious. How does the average -non geek- consumer buying his first smart Phone or Pad know how much data plan he/she needs ?

This all reminds me of the early AOL & Co when they charged us by the KB or minute ( and AOL than boosted it by 'downloading graphics' each time you logged on).

I have a feeling these Data plans will all be history in a few years.

G

hahah what an f'n joke!

These data plans are just like when dialup was based on hourly usage.

why are we going backwards and getting our wallets raped?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS