New Laptop Battery Draining Fast

UNDERSCORE_

Prominent
Feb 8, 2017
I have an Asus ROG strix gl502 gaming laptop that is about a month or two old. It's supposed to have 3 and a half hours of battery life but lately it's only had 1 and a half on full charge. I have been doing things such as updates, downloads and gaming and sometimes I have to plug it in while doing these things because the laptop needs charging. Have I killed my battery? or have I just got a dud. It never lasts 3 hours at all anymore.

Solution

I would check the nVidia Control Panel and make sure that in Manage 3D Settings the GPU is set to auto-select in the Global Settings tab.

If it already is, then try switching it to integrated graphics. This will mean even when playing games it will use the Intel HD 530 graphics core. If under this condition the laptop still only lasts around 1 hour when not playing games, then there seems to be something wrong with the battery. You will need to contact customer service.

They will likely tell you...
Gaming drains the battery and whatever battery life is stated by Asus (or any other brand) is usually very optimistic and does not include playing games. Whatever the battery life is listed as I typically knock that down by 20% for a better estimate of what the battery life is doing typical daily tasks which excludes playing games. How long does the battery last when not playing games?

Watching videos is more demanding than most other "normal tasks" which can affect battery life. But it is no where near as demanding as playing games.

UNDERSCORE_

Prominent
Feb 8, 2017
Yeah but this is happening when I'm just writing a word document or even when it's just on the desktop. The battery life has permanently dropped down to and hour long instead of three. 3% of battery life goes down about every minute.

I would check the nVidia Control Panel and make sure that in Manage 3D Settings the GPU is set to auto-select in the Global Settings tab.

If it already is, then try switching it to integrated graphics. This will mean even when playing games it will use the Intel HD 530 graphics core. If under this condition the laptop still only lasts around 1 hour when not playing games, then there seems to be something wrong with the battery. You will need to contact customer service.

They will likely tell you that you need to ship the laptop to one of their service centers so that it can inspected. If you need the laptop for school or work, then that is probably not an option especially since you may be without a laptop for weeks. If you cannot do without the laptop, then your only options is to either deal with it or buy a new battery for it.

Solution