New laptop feels slow?

Oct 11, 2013
Hello. I've just got my new Lenovo ThinkPad T550
- 15.5" 3K IPS
- Intel Core i7-5600U
- Intel HD 5500
- 16GB Ram
- 256 GB SSD

My old laptop had a SSD too, 1080p display, 8gb ram and a 2620M CPU.
The thing is, my NEW laptop is slower... Specially loading/scrolling in websites is laggy on the new Thinkpad and smooth on my old laptop...

Is something wrong here?
Nothing bloatware is installed, the power setting is balanced and the computer is not doing anything else in the background (monitor task manager)

Solution
Dear

I purchased a new T550 and had exactly the same. Even with power settings on "maximum performance", sometimes, suddenly my laptop became slow and sluggish with Windows 8.1. Chrome especially as it 'eats' more resources. But even Chrome that eats your resources, it should not slow down your laptop that much if the power settings are correct (high performance).

I installed Windows 7 instead as means of test and it worked perfectly fine and speedy.
After longer investigation, I believe it might be related with the "Lenovo PM driver" in Windows 8.1 throttling your CPU power to battery speed (650 Mzh at 7.5 Watts) instead of Maximum power speed (1600Mhz at 15 Watts).

You can try the following:
- Uninstall it (Control Panel ->...

AlleJoppa

Estimable
May 28, 2015
Dear

I purchased a new T550 and had exactly the same. Even with power settings on "maximum performance", sometimes, suddenly my laptop became slow and sluggish with Windows 8.1. Chrome especially as it 'eats' more resources. But even Chrome that eats your resources, it should not slow down your laptop that much if the power settings are correct (high performance).

I installed Windows 7 instead as means of test and it worked perfectly fine and speedy.
After longer investigation, I believe it might be related with the "Lenovo PM driver" in Windows 8.1 throttling your CPU power to battery speed (650 Mzh at 7.5 Watts) instead of Maximum power speed (1600Mhz at 15 Watts).

You can try the following:
- Uninstall it (Control Panel -> Programs & features)
- Temporarily disable automatic updates (because it will try to install it back)

I have reported the CPU throttle issue (caused by this PM driver) to Lenovo.
Check if you can also reproduce it and let certainly Lenovo know it if that is the case. I started the thread here:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/T400-T500-and-newer-T-series/T550-CPU-Throttle-on-Windows-8-1/td-p/2087644

Try this trick above and your laptop will run speedy and smoothly again ;)

Please let me know if this worked for you? Together we stand stronger..

Solution
Oct 11, 2013

Thank you for your reply! I will investigate this and come back to you :)