New Laptop Needed

N1njaDestr0yer

Prominent
Mar 2, 2017
Hello, I've been in the market for a new laptop i've been looking on eBay for a broken version of a new laptop to fix, but what are some possible brands like (Dell, ASUS, Lenovo, HP etc....) this would be for basic tasks and light gaming, games i mostly play are Minecraft, COD4 (not the remastered one). also, emulators for old Mario Games... any Ideas?

Thanks

N1nja

Solution
I would stay away from buying a broken laptop to fix. If you were capable of fixing laptops, you would not need to post here asking what laptop to get but would already know that, or do some research about the best brands and models. What will probably happen is you would buy a laptop, then buy parts to fix it, end up with a still broken system or will break something else during the repair and end up spending 20 times the time and double the cost of just buying a working used laptop in the first place.

If you want a used system for games, find something with a 960m video card, Dell, ASUS, Lenovo are good brands to get.

N1njaDestr0yer

Prominent
Mar 2, 2017

[True but i meant was to find a laptop that does not have a HDD or RAM installed, My old Dell Inspiron 1420 is running slow it has a core 2 duo from 2008-2010]

[if i was to get a new laptop should i buy it off eBay or go to a store like Best Buy or where ever and which brand do you like i was looking into a Dell Latitude D630, or an ASUS X551M, and or a ASUS X401A or a Lenovo Thinkpad T410] which would you recommend?

If you just mean without a drive or RAM, that is fine, but keep in mind that some of those are sold as is and may have issues such as damaged screens or random crashing, otherwise they would sell them as a full system. None of the systems you listed will be very good for games, Minecraft would be on low settings on those. If you are OK with a used laptop, see what your local craigslist has with a 940m/950m/960m video chip. That way you can see it run in person and test with a benchmark like PassMark or 3DMark to make sure it's stable. I love the Lenovo T models but they are more for basic use not games, unless you happen to get some with the nVidia NVS video cards, even then they are not very fast in games.

Solution

N1njaDestr0yer

Prominent
Mar 2, 2017
Is ASUS a good brand to buy or is Dell Better??? i was looking at a Dell Inspiron 15 5558 or an ASUS X551M im leaning more toward ASUS, it would be for basic tasks like checking the web and watching youtube