New Laptop, New SSD, Secure Boot and Fresh Windows Install Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

omega83

Commendable
Mar 14, 2016
Hello everyone,

Here is my issue. I just got a deal on a brand new HP Probook 450 G3 that came with a 1To HDD and Windows 10 pre-installed. I used the spare money to purchase an Windows 7 Pro x64 license and a Sandisk 256Gb SSD. My intention was to pull the original HDD out and do a clean install of Windows 7 on the SSD.

I have gone absolutely bonkers after 72 hours of trying... Sorry in advance if I state the obvious or if I do not use the right wording. I know a little but am definitely not a wiz. So here goes.

PROBLEM 1: Impossible to Enable Secure Boot and Install Windows 7

I unplugged the HDD and swapped it with the SSD.

Using Rufus, I created a bootable USB stick formatted as Fat32 and partitioned as GPT since my Bios defaults to UEFI. I stuck the USB device in the computer, went to F10 - BIOS Setup. My BIOS is version N78 Ver. 1.06 12/18/2015. The USB device is properly recognized as a UEFI device.

In BIOS Setup >> Advanced >> Secure Boot Configuration, I switched to Legacy Support Enable and Secure Boot Disable then Save. In Boot Options, I unchecked Fast Boot. Below, UEFI Boot Order is greyed out and cannot be unchecked. Only the device booting order can be tweaked so I ranked the USB device first. Below, Legacy Boot Order is greyed out and cannot be unchecked. Instead of a device list as with UEFI Boot Order, the following sentence is written: "Enable Legacy Boot, Save Settings & Exit, then Return to Setup".

With now everything set up as much as the BIOS allows me to enable Secure Boot, I Exit and Save. The cpu restarts and prompts me to validate a 4-digit code to enable Secure Boot. I do so. The computer restarts and seems to be booting the USB stick but immediately returns the following error message.

Secure Boot
Selected boot image did not authentica​te.

Out of curiosity, I go back to the BIOS and I realize that the Secure Boot Configuration settings did not save and have all reverted back to Legacy Support Disable and Secure Boot Enable.
I tried to do the same process with clearing the secure boot keys, or after logging in as an admin. Nothing works. I always get the same Secure Boot error message and disabling Secure Boot never saves.

PROBLEM 2: Impossible to Boot Windows 10 Recovery Disk

So after losing hope, I decided to at least get Windows 10 installed on the SSD. today, I ran the HP recovery disk containing Windows 10 + drivers. The computer will simply refuse to even start booting the DVD. It does recognize the DVD and lists it properly if I go to the boot menu. It just will not boot it and returns the following error message.

BootDevice Not Found
Please Install an Operating System on your Hard Drive
Hard Disk - (3F0)

So basically, my new laptop only works with the original HDD and Windows 10. Everything else seems hard wired. I cannot even run a recovery disk.

Please let me know what I am missing here as I seriously do not know what else I can do.

Thanks A LOT in advance.

No need to go into BIOS for a one-off, temporary change of boot device.

Just press F9 as soon as the HP splash-screen appears & you should get a boot device menu.

Highlight which device you want to boot from (up/down arrow keys), then press <Enter>.

As regards Windows 7, forget that until you've checked what drivers are available for that model on HP's website.
If they don't have Windows 7 drivers, then abandon that idea.

omega83

Commendable
Mar 14, 2016
Hello Phillip and thank you.

I have already gone the F9 route. The UEFI devices (whether USB for Win7 or DVD for Win10 recovery disk) are perfectly recognized. But no matter which one I select in the splash screen, hitting <enter> gets me an error message.

The error message can be the "Secure Boot - Selected boot image did not authentica​te" for the USB or the "BootDevice Not Found" for the recovery disk.

And by the way, I did collect all of the needed Probook 450 G3 drivers for Win7 Pro x64 on a separate USB.

omega83

Commendable
Mar 14, 2016
Ok so after contacting HP Support, the Rep concluded that there is an issue with the BIOS. He went on to tell me that I am not supposed to install a new SSD or OS on the brand new laptop, and that basically, I should leave it as is.

So since their Techs are only supposed to fix the hardware (and not the software), I was offered the possibility of returning this otherwise perfectly functional laptop. It is nice from them but also a terrible waste.

Kinda bummed out really.

akb123

Commendable
Apr 9, 2016
Hi,
I am trying to set up two new HP Probook 450 G3 laptops for a customer and am having exactly the same problem.
I changed a setting in the BIOS and can now boot to the Windows 10 DVD - before I couldn't boot to any CD or DVD.
I can't interrupt the Windows 10 setup to check the BIOS setting but I think it was something like Enable Legacy DVD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS