New Laptop under $500usd

gxip

Distinguished
May 13, 2008
I've been reading some posts and checking new laptops. I was actually going to buy one in my local store but when I compared them online I saw better deals.

I will only use the computer for internet and word processing. Being able to play WoW on it would be a plus (but not necessary).

My budget is $500. I don't want to spend more unless it's absolutely necessary.

Here are a couple of links that I found and some other people suggested:

http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3748499&sku=A180-15004%20ON

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834107014

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834107014

I was thinking of a 14" notebook since i thought it would've been much better for battery life. But it is about $90 more just for that and dunno if it's worth it.
Here's what I was thinking:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834115464

I did see that they had a special (which already expired) on that same model for $499 a while back. That made me wonder if I should wait for the prices to go down? I am going to wait for the prices to go down to build a desktop pc, so maybe I should wait to get a new laptop too? Also I have some spare parts from an AW Aurora M7700, which might be usable for the new laptop(RAM?). I'm not sure about the latter though. Please enlighten me!

The 15.4 Acer from CompUSA and the 14'' Acer from newegg are the better of the systems you linked. I think I would get the 15.4'' one because I find the 14'' ones to be cramped. I doubt the slightly smaller screen would save you very much in the battery life department.

Depending on how old the Alienware is, it may be pretty useless. Got specs on it?

gxip

Distinguished
May 13, 2008
I doubt the slightly smaller screen would save you very much in the battery life department.
Well then, that really helps a lot on my decision and saves me some $$$ :D
Depending on how old the Alienware is, it may be pretty useless. Got specs on it?
It might be pretty useless but here are the specs anyways.
Copied them from an auction but it's about the same:
Model: Aurora M7700 (D9K)
Screen: 17" WXGA+ (1440 x 900)
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4200+ 2.20Ghz
2GB Ram DDR2
Nvidia GeForce Go 6800 Ultra
Sony DVD RW 8x Dual Layer AW-G540A
Intel Pro Wireless 2200 BG
60Gb HDD
1 PCMCIA - Type II/Type I card slot with CardBus support
7-in-1 card reader
1 parallel port, one serial port
Four USB 2.0, 2 FireWire, S-video, composite video out, printer port, DVI, 1 PS2
Headphone jack, 5.1 channel out (S/PDIF) / Line-in, microphone in
Gigabit ethernet RJ-45
56K V.92 modem RJ-11
Infrared port for Data transfer
4 speakers and 1 subwoofer.

gxip

Distinguished
May 13, 2008
Even though this might be out of subject... I was thinking of using maybe the RAM for the laptop. The screen for a home-made projector(like the one on the guide here), although I don't think I'll be able to with a laptop lcd. And maybe use the processor and fit it in a AM2 socket mobo to do a cheap htpc because I dunno about being able to fit a 939 socket mobo in another case (bad 2 upgrade) and using laptop components for an htpc might not even be a good idea for a cheap htpc. If all else fails sell it for as much as I can get.
I don't wish to spend over $600 to fix that 10pound alienware that won't have more than 45mins of battery life. And since I'm probably going to build a desktop I don't need a gaming laptop.

Anyway I've been up all night because my dog just gave birth (finished a couple of hours ago to 10 :eek: ) and I've been waiting for a reply. Every1 is probably sleeping so I got no rush. Just decided to put my plans thinking that it might help on the advice. And maybe even some good ideas or helpful comments on how to go about them. :lol:

Well, both laptops I suggested already have 2gb of RAM and laptops only have 2 DIMM slots, so you probably aren't going to be able to use the RAM.

As far as the HTPC, you'd probably have to create your own mount for the motherboard since I doubt it uses the same screw mount layout as a regular desktop motherboard.

gxip

Distinguished
May 13, 2008
Will by any chance the acer from compusa be able to run WoW?
As far as the HTPC, you'd probably have to create your own mount for the motherboard since I doubt it uses the same screw mount layout as a regular desktop motherboard.
Well I was thinking of getting a cheap desktop motherboard and use the Athlon 64 X2 from the aurora. But I would probably have to buy all the rest of the components for the build. Since I can't use the notebook ram or the video card, etc.
Or like you suggested I could try to create my own mount following the aurora's enclosure example...
Anyone knows any good links to similar how to guides?
I will have some spare time in the summer and would like to get the most out of what little parts I got.

gxip

Distinguished
May 13, 2008
Ok, last night my borrowed laptop's hdd decided to die on me. BSoD won't recognize it. I decided to buy the compusa acer. Price came up to aprox. $520 (tax) and had to send it to florida cuz they didn't ship to P.R. I guess. So It'll be getting to FL aprox may 30 and to PR in early july I hope. Thanks all for your help.