New Latop runs internet slow at home!!

Oliversmama

Estimable
Feb 10, 2015
Hello potential hero,

I just got a cheap HP Stream with win 8 to use for school. At school it runs internet fast, at home it runs very very slow. I tried closing start up programs I didn't need. I un-installed programs I didn't need. Nothing helps. If it was slow at school I'd understand I have a cheap LP.

My room-mate's older crap-top runs fast at home too.. so its not the internet speed. When he isn't home, still runs slow.. so its not a ban width issue.

ANYWAYS.. please help.

Oliversmama

Estimable
Feb 10, 2015
Thanks for responding. I tried the speed test but, it timed out LOL. My internet at home is pretty good. My room-mate runs his laptop fine, and our Roku runs fine as well.

Oliversmama

Estimable
Feb 10, 2015
So when I try to open Speedtest, my laptop shows underlined words on the upper left corner and a black white screen. On my room-mates it fully loads the page.

ROOM-MATES speed test: Ping 67, Download speed .72 mbps, upload .37mbps.

Oliversmama

Estimable
Feb 10, 2015
Using Chrome. The stream doesn't have an Ethernet port as far as I can tell. My mother got the same laptop and hers runs just fine here, I forgot to mention that. Same model, same day. Hers runs normal when she visits.

Oliversmama

Estimable
Feb 10, 2015

My mother has the same laptop, and when she visits my house, hers runs just fine. So I don't think it a internet speed issue, please help Grandmaster!:??:

scottlindner

Nov 8, 2008

I recently had the same problem with a Dell laptop from work. I found this blog post that solved my problem.
http://www.williambharding.com/blog/technology/fixed-my-i7-intel-dell-laptop-is-ridiculously-slow/

The key is to turn off Intel “Speed Step” in the BIOS. That solved my problem. I hope it works for you. Good luck!