New Lenovo Ideapad 510p

NotSoSavvy

Honorable
Sep 29, 2013
Hey guys, I ordered a Lenovo Ideapad Y510p and I expect it to come in soon (this week/next week). This is going to be my first ever laptop so I am being a little paranoid, but I just have some questions that hopefully you guys can answer. Okay, so when I first get the laptop:

1) Are there any programs/applications that I should uninstall or install right off the bat?

2) Are there any drivers that I should install or uninstall? I don't really know a lot about drivers.

3) I know there have been problems with the touchpad on this laptop. I have heard that you can either use Synaptics or Elan drivers for it. What is the difference between the two and which is better? How do I know which one the laptop comes with?

4) Any general tips on how to conserve battery life in the long run? Also, if I know that I am going to be using it plugged in for a while, should I leave the battery inside or remove it?

5) Anything else I should know???

BONUS: Through my university, I have free access to some Windows software through a program called Dreamspark. This includes Windows 7. Should I downgrade from 8 to 7 or should I just keep Windows 8 and try to learn it? Should I upgrade to 8.1?

Thank you! I know this is a lot but please be as detailed as you can when answering. I really appreciate it :ange:

mc962

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013
1) There are, I don't remember which ones but I definitely took off a few. A quick google search helped me there. Some you might find more useful than others.
2) There is a good chance that there are updates (it might even still need windows 8.1 to download) If you want to check for the latest, then find the drivers section for your computer on lenovo's website, and check each driver version installed on your computer (device manager is one place you can find this) with the version listed online. If they arent the same then chances are yours is out of date.

3) Your touchpad that you get will either be synaptics or elan (both parts are possible, you get 1 or the other). Only use the one's for your part. There are some suggestions for optimal touchpad settings also floating around somewhere

5) Be prepared for the metal inside to be a grease magnet. It cleans off pretty easily (or maybe there is now a uniform layer of grease so it looks better), but it is really easy to get finger prints there. Fair warning. Although it's still a great laptop
I'd recommend sticking with 8, I have it on both my computers and really like it. Since you essentially have access to both OS it is more of a personal choice for you, but I'd say stick with 8

NotSoSavvy

Honorable
Sep 29, 2013

Okay, thanks! Would you recommend keeping the Antivirus program trial it comes with or no? I believe it is a trial only anyways.
Haha, and yes I am aware of the laptop being a huge fingerprint magnet and it was actually one of the reasons I was considering the 410p (has a plastic outer finish but same inner finish).
I guess I'll stick with 8 as of now. I have never used it or 8.1, but I guess it doesn't hurt to try.

mc962

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013
I didn't, in part because my family has a family pack of norton that I piggy-back on, and in part because I'm not a fan of mcafee (i think this is the one you get). As you said, it's only like a 1 month trial. That was one of the first things I blasted away, followed promptly by installing an antivirus of my choice

NotSoSavvy

Honorable
Sep 29, 2013

Alright, I think I'll be better off installing my own antivirus as well. Thank you!
Also, did you stick with 8 or upgrade to 8.1? If so, do you like it better?

mc962

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013
I upgraded, it's just a download and let it install type of thing, which the time will depend on your hardware/internet connection. I did because i figured that i might as well, a lot of the big changes that i noticed were on the surface. Unless you have big issues with downloading then you might as well do it. It's sort of like those windows 7 service packs, just bigger

NotSoSavvy

Honorable
Sep 29, 2013

Yeah I heard that it improved a lot of the minor issues from Windows 8 so it should be good. I think I'll try Win8 by itself and then upgrade to see the difference. Thanks again for your help!