New Malware Disguised as McAfee VirusScan Trial

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
What do you mean "Disguised" lol just kidding.... But nothing surprises me these days what the malware does. Next up they will hack dns and hack MS's auto update feature and push out hacked signed "updates" from fake microsoft update servers.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
[citation][nom]mp562[/nom]I'm sooooo sick of these people. I wish someone would just take 'em out and hang 'em.[/citation]Who? The people who created it or the fools who fall for these scams?

pojih

Distinguished
May 21, 2009
Why would anyone download that?

Some people should really take a class on how to not do stupid things like this.

...sigh, you all know one of them, you fix their computer for them, put an AV on it - and they disable it - and call again.

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
Stop playing games. If a purveyor of malware is convicted (an individual is innocent until proven guilty), stick his head in a bucket and pull the trigger. GAME OVER.

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
[citation][nom]pojih[/nom]Why would anyone download that?Some people should really take a class on how to not do stupid things like this....sigh, you all know one of them, you fix their computer for them, put an AV on it - and they disable it - and call again.[/citation]

Or my favorite trick, you spend hours working on a machine to repair it and "save my files!!!!" only to have them use system restore to undo your system tweaks and get reinfected with the updated versions of the crap you just spent forever removing.... It took me a few times but I figured out when your cleaning up some ones machine don't be nice and leave system restore alone "Nuke it from orbit".

liquidchild

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
This is not new.....my moms computer BSDed 4 months ago. I had to reinstall EVERYTHING and lost a lot of family pics. I suspected the free trial but could not prove it as im not a PC wiz. Great job in finding the bug who ever did.

snotling

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2002
[citation][nom]mp562[/nom]I'm sooooo sick of these people. I wish someone would just take 'em out and hang 'em.[/citation]
you mean the people at Mcafee? LOL

warmon6

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
Ug. I get tried of seeing thoses advertising bots, spamming the forums and article about a product or website. Tom's Cant you just add a security captcha's for the login process? Im more than sure that most of them are bots and not real people.

Anyways,

[citation][nom]pojih[/nom]Why would anyone download that?Some people should really take a class on how to not do stupid things like this....sigh, you all know one of them, you fix their computer for them, put an AV on it - and they disable it - and call again.[/citation]

That sounds familiar..... Have you been watching me? :lol:

I just had to do close to that only a few weeks ago. Although i never was able to fix it. Due to all the tools i would of needed to "fix the issue" was all packed away on a trailer that was already on the road to my new house [:isamuelson:8] ...... Out of all the time that a friends computer get's a virus when im still around, It had to be when i had really nothing to work with. Yeah had a 16GB flash drive with tools on it (Stuff from linux pendrive tools like avg anti-virus, few linux OS's, ect) that would of done the job but to bad the computer was old enough to not be able to run off a flash drive very well.

Sigh, Anyway yeah my friend computer had anti-virus but scene It had norton on it (which needs payed yearly), my friend didn't keep up with the payments and well, you get the idea.

I agree though, everytime there a problem (via virus situation) it always seams to happen to the same people for the same reason. Then the phone call call comes, you fix, then deja vu.

captaincharisma

Distinguished
[citation][nom]JonathanDeane[/nom]Or my favorite trick, you spend hours working on a machine to repair it and "save my files!!!!" only to have them use system restore to undo your system tweaks and get reinfected with the updated versions of the crap you just spent forever removing.... It took me a few times but I figured out when your cleaning up some ones machine don't be nice and leave system restore alone "Nuke it from orbit".[/citation]

this goes to show that some people just should not own computers

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
lol, I always though legit McAfee caused your system more grief than any virus it could protect you from. so telling it apart from this malware imposter may be difficult!

I suppose if it all of a sudden it isn't slowing your computer to a crawl and making everything painful, it must be the virus!

speedemon

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
[citation][nom]liquidchild[/nom]This is not new.....my moms computer BSDed 4 months ago. I had to reinstall EVERYTHING and lost a lot of family pics. I suspected the free trial but could not prove it as im not a PC wiz. Great job in finding the bug who ever did.[/citation]

Couldnt have been a hardware error... naw it must be that virus

fletchoid

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
My favorite is when you install AVG Free, set up the schedules for updates, and scans. Write a little blurb on how they should leave their computer on overnight at least once a week to let the software scan and protect their computer, and then a year later, they mysteriously get a virus, and when you look at the antivirus, the last update and scan was the one you did a year ago.
I charge extra for those people.

rohitbaran

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010
Naturally the best way to avoid problems stemming from fake anti-virus software is to avoid these types of emails--and have a real product installed.
The last two lines clearly show who has major incentive behind designing these malware. The security companies themselves. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.