New MSI GE63VR - weird wifi

savage8190

Prominent
Aug 27, 2017
Just bought a new MSI GE63VR 7RE-010CA and I am having some strange issues with internet connectivity. I have high speed (150mb/s) internet, zero issues on my other devices/computers either wireless or wired. This laptop, when I run the speed test I am getting about 88mb/s download on wifi, and about 188mb/s download wired...great. BUT, everything that requires internet connection is experiencing mind-numbingly slow connection speeds. Downloading on Steam...8mb/s...downloading on Blizzard...4mb/s. Using the browser...painful loading times. These speeds are roughly doubled when I go wired, but still nowhere near where they should be.

Im at a loss.

I have tried uninstalling the drivers and reinstalling the newest available (from Killer FYI). I got rid of the killer software and went driver only. Ive tried wired and wireless....rebooting...installed all the latest drivers for EVERYTHING and a fresh BIOS. I have virtually nothing running in the background. Norton was uninstalled right away. Theres no reason I can think that this should be happening...I'd like to say its the network card, but why would the speed tests work?

Solution
Ugh...scratch those numbers. I didn't realize the stupid thing logged me out of my 5G and into someones else's wifi....WTH.

So speed test is now in line with the other laptop, download speeds are roughly triple what they were and its smooth. Still not as fast as my other devices (all intel based wifi)...doesnt really explain how wifi is now faster than wired but whatever.

savage8190

Prominent
Aug 27, 2017
Actually, just set my other laptop upright next to this one and ran speed tests back to back. Brand new MSI....74.5 download. Old ass HP...178.1 download.

Something tells me this network card is bunk.

savage8190

Prominent
Aug 27, 2017
Ugh...scratch those numbers. I didn't realize the stupid thing logged me out of my 5G and into someones else's wifi....WTH.

So speed test is now in line with the other laptop, download speeds are roughly triple what they were and its smooth. Still not as fast as my other devices (all intel based wifi)...doesnt really explain how wifi is now faster than wired but whatever.

Solution