New MSI Laptop, no luck with audio in

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hrairoo53

Commendable
Dec 1, 2016
I recently purchased an MSI GS63VR GRF Stealth Pro. I had to do a fresh Windows 10 install because all the bloatware was staggering. But even before I did so, my laptop was not recognizing the audio input jack. It doesn't show up in the device manager, and I'm a little confused as to what driver I should hunt down (if any). Any suggestions for what I can do to fix this issue?

While it isn't showing in the main area for sound in device manager, are you sure it isn't hiding in another area? That does happen.

Have you tried going into "Control Panel" and then "Sound", when you have either a microphone or a headset plugged in (depending on the port using), and see if they show in there under the "Playback" and/or "Recording" tabs?

Hrairoo53

Commendable
Dec 1, 2016

I've poked around in the other sections of the device manager to no avail, but I wouldn't know exactly where to look either.

In Playback Devices, it doesn't show up at all. Only the onboard mic, my usb mic, and RealTek Stereo Mix. The audio out headphone jack works fine though.

I've also eliminated the microphone itself as the problem -- it functions fine when I plug it into a usb adapter.

Hrairoo53

Commendable
Dec 1, 2016

My concern is they'll first tell me to reinstall all the drivers I wiped with my clean Windows install, so I came here to make sure I haven't missed anything software related before I make that call.

Status
Not open for further replies.