Question Severe drops and overall less fps with new MSI Laptop

Oct 6, 2021
Good evening,

As the post title says, I am experiencing framerate drops at a consistent rate. The main specifications for the laptop hardware are the following:

i7 11th Generation 11800h
RTX 3050 TI
500 GB SSD
16 GB RAM

I purchased the North American model of the MSI GF76, and for about a day, my framerates were very consistent and pleasing with this new laptop. I was averaging 200 to almost 300 fps at times in Rainbow Six Siege and in GTA V, 130 fps at the high settings. Then we've reached Saturday morning, I begin to play my games and experience framerate significantly lower and now my framerates are having from 250 all the way down to 90 and sometimes 120 every 5 to 10 seconds. I suspected that maybe this was just an issue with the hardware and it wasn't as good as I thought it was, however, I have a friend with similar laptop that has similar performance to what I had initially. The only differences between our laptops is that he has 8GB of RAM and an RTX 3050

Are you running legal copies of the games or pirated (not accusing you of anything--just askimg). There is also a small chance that a recent update did something. Check your Windows update history and see what updated during the time between good and bad.

Oct 6, 2021
Hello Rdg, thank you for your speedy responses, much appreciated.

I've tested my games in both instances and a few other scenarios. I've reset the laptop using MSI's partition reset or whatever it's named, and the problem persisted.

As far as the GPU and CPU temperatures, they were normal when I first observed, running across 30 at idle and 75 at heavy load. When I arrive from classes, I will benchmark temperature, memory usage and other details with MSI Afterburner again.

In regards to task and programs running, I have the usual such as spotify, Logitech GHUB, GeForce Experience, Intel programs, and the audio drivers running in the background. Task that aren't running in the background usually consist of discord, and occasionally Opera GX if I'm not playing a game that has high ram usage.