New NES Game Plays via Classic Cartridge

Status
Not open for further replies.

ravicai

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
Sweet. I hope they make some money on this and churn out some more.

Like other NES games, I suspect this will end up as a downloadable rom within a few days.

ronch79

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
Wow, this thing is a surprise in today's Xbox and PS3 world.

Seriously, is anyone gonna buy this thing for $29? I grew up with the Family Computer (Asian version of the NES) and right now whenever I have an urging to play 8-bit games (which is once in a blue moon) I just fire up a NES emulator and play my collection of NES ROMs.

I predict it's gonna go down from $29 to like, $5 really soon.

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
Actually, this game looks VERY suspiciously like an NES version/re-imagining of I Wanna Be the Guy: The Movie: The Game. the main character's face looks more or less identical, as does the air control movement, attack method, and emphasis on screen-by-screen scenarios where the slightest mis-step will kill you, resulting in a long period of trial-and-error.
[citation][nom]ronch79[/nom]I predict it's gonna go down from $29 to like, $5 really soon.[/citation]
It's sale price is PURELY as a piece of memorabilia. The price isn't gonna drop; they don't INTEND to make it a well-selling game. (plus, unlike with DVDs which cost $20 of the game's price, counting all the chips, PCBs, etc.) If they wanted that, they'd just make another cookie-cutter FPS for the Xbox 360, or a shovelware gimmick game for the Wii.

For most that play it, they'll likely download its ROM image. I doubt few among the first to actually buy it WON'T copy the image onto their computer; many will likely upload it.

G

I predict it's gonna go down from $29 to like, $5 really soon.

Only problem is, it's pretty likely nobody is mass producing NES cartridge hardware any more. $29 may be the cheapest they can sell it.

gto127

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
This has gotta be a april fools prank. Nintendo would never allow anyone to Clone Mario & Metroid loike this.

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
[citation][nom]gto127[/nom]This has gotta be a april fools prank. Nintendo would never allow anyone to Clone Mario & Metroid loike this.[/citation]
First off, it's NOT an April Fools' joke. The game released back in February. I think Tom's ignored it then, then just opted to post it today because they wanted "zany" articles.

Nintendo doesn't have much choice in the issue. Previously, they controlled what games went on their systems through a monopoly on the ROM chips needed to make them. Now, they don't even control the PATENT for their own console, hence how others can readily make clones of it.

[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]yea i call shenanigans on this one. no way no one is going to release a game on a dead console.[/citation]
You'd be wrong; there's other, older sources that confirm its existence; Tom's mentioned the source site, which DOES sell it. It's not meant to be sold as a "game" really, but rather as a "collectable."

Heoytes

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2006
I finished the demo. The one-hit-kill gameplay was addictive and challenging. The save points came frequently enough that I didn't feel the urge to throw my PC out the window when I got hit. The Boss music was almost as intense as the fight itself...and that's a lot. Great game.

codefuapprentice

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
kool beans
i've just watched 10 minutes of gameplay for this game, and it really wants to keep you on your toes, mega man style...i didn't think this was gonna be an april fool gag as people are able to make 8bit style games quite easily

tonewheelmonster

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
That looks so rad krazy awesome. damn i miss the 8-bit days. I say this as i have an original nes and tons of games sitting in a box downstairs

G

Well I just bought it due to this article. I hope it is as good as it looks. I hope they keep making games like this from time to time.

h83r

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009
[citation][nom]jossrik[/nom]Kinda reminds me of early Megaman games from the loox of it.[/citation]
Exactly what went through my head while watching this

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS