New Novatech laptop

burgergetsbored

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
Hi, was thinking about buying a dell but realised this is pretty much the same but nearly £200 cheaper. Opinions on novatech in general and the spec of this laptop? Mainly for uni work, but also for some gaming. Thanks.

Processor
Description : Intel Core i7-2760QM Processor
Cache : 6MB
Clockspeed : 2.4GHz
Manufacturer : Intel
Memory
Description : 2 X 4GB DDR3 1333Mhz Memory
Speed : 1333Mhz
Harddrive
Description : Seagate Momentus XT 500GB Hybrid SSD SATA Hard Drive
Interface : SATA
Technology : Solid State Hybrid
Optical Drives
Description : SATA DVD Writer
Graphics
Description : NVIDIA GT 555M 2GB Graphics
Chassis
Description : 1366 x 768 Resolution
Bluetooth : Yes
Dimensions : 383 x 262 x 36.6
Graphics : NVIDIA GT555 Mobile Graphics
Battery : 8 Cell 5200mAh Battery
Memory Capacity : 8GB
Memory Slots : 2
LAN : On board 10/100/1000 Mbps Fast Ethernet controller
USB : 2 x USB 3.0 Ports, 2 x USB 2.0 Ports
Webcam : 1.3 Mega Pixel
Weight : 2.8KG
Screen : 15.6" (16:9) HD LED Backlight
Fingerprint Scanner : Yes
Card Reader : MMC, SD/SDHC/SDXC, MS/MS Pro/MS Pro HG, Memory Card
Wireless : 802.11 1x1 b/g/n

£669.98

http://www.novatech.co.uk/laptop/range/nspire2760-blackedition.html?th=g

burgergetsbored

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
The chassis looks a bit cheap but spec wise it's probably the best one for money. Yeah resolution isn't a problem. I'm hooked up to a 23" 1080p monitor at home, just hoping the card will be enough for it. Yeah a mate got one below and he said it was good. I know the cpu and all that is good, and I think the RAM is a decent speed? Just hoping that the graphics are alright to last a couple years.

Chainzsaw

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2002
The graphics will be a weak point in your system. Those mobile parts are usually only about 1/2 to 3/4 the power of their desktop counter parts. It should last a couple of years, but down the road with newer games you probably only be able to game out at medium to low resolution (especially at 1080P).

The RAM won't matter as 1333mhz is plenty fast for a mobile CPU , and 8GB is lots.

Good choice on laptop and I like your thinking on the HDMI output :D, I have a similar set up myself, using a DTR with HDMI out to my big screen HD TV.

burgergetsbored

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
Yeah think all the specs seem alright. Just wondering on the build quality, the pictures don't do it great justice to the dell counterpart but that costs £180 odd more for a little less. Just don't want to go get a cheap plastic laptop that's going to break. Yeah gotta have a big screen! Will probably replace the laptop after about 3 years anyway.

dextermat

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
Hi,

+1 Novatech, most reviews say it's decent laptops.

For my part: dell build bad laptops, you need to change the Hd every now and then if the motherboard doesn't die on you 1st.
+ Low en parts

Try comparing with asus, they have better return and repair rates over other brands

burgergetsbored

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
This is the only laptop I can get close which is : http://uk.asus.com/Notebooks/Multimedia_Entertainment/N53SN/#specifications

And costs around the same as the dell, £872. The novatech gets an instant saving as I can save money by getting no OS installed as I can get win 7 free through university. So that saves a fair bit off the price, which dell don't do.

I'm sure everything about the novatech is fine, just worried about he build quality. Also does having the numerical keypad on the right of the keyboard make a significant difference in the typing experience, having all the keys smaller and such?

AntiZig

Distinguished
if the keys are smaller, you won't notice the difference between the laptop that doesn't have a numpad.

one thing you will have to get adjusted is that the enter button will now be somewhere in the middle on the right hand side rather than on the far right and also some keys like arrows, home, end delete, etc might be in slightly different place than what you're used to.

overall it's not a big deal

burgergetsbored

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
Ah okay then, assumed the keys would be smaller as there needs to be more room for the numerical keypad on the right. Yeah, still unsure, can't really find anything about novatech on the internet, don't seem to be a very well known company.

tim leroy

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011
Novatech are great - but don't take my word for it (I'll admit I am the Head of Marketing!) Have a look and see what which? say about us...
http://www.which.co.uk/technology/computing/reviews-ns/desktop-pcs/best-buys/

tim leroy

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011
And if you live near Reading, Portsmouth, Bristol or Cardiff you can come in to one of our stores and check out the keyboard yourself...
If you need to customise anything you can - just give our guys a call and they can give you free pre-sales advice.

More importantly we put them together here in the UK, and give free, high-quality UK based tech support for the life of the laptop.

burgergetsbored

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011

The spec was brilliant, but after looking at one at cardiff the casing was just too cheap/plastic for me. Also change the trackpad!! No one likes those case textured ones that drag when you move your finger over them.