Opinions on Gaming Laptop

xtbfe

Prominent
Nov 14, 2017
Hello everyone,

I am looking for a new gaming laptop to buy and after a small research I have made, I am considering buying the HP Omen X Laptop 17 ap008nn. I would like your opinion on this certain model based on its specifications and on your experience with it, if someone owns it. Please do not recommend other laptops, I would like to listen to your thoughts only about this one.

Here are the specifications

Microprocessor Intel® Core™ i7-7820HK (2.9 GHz base frequency, up to 3.9 GHz with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology, 8MB cache, 4 cores)

Chipset Intel® CM238

Memory, standard 16 GB DDR4-2800 SDRAM (1 x 16 GB) supporting Intel® XMP

Video graphics NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1080 (8 GB GDDR5X dedicated)

Hard drive 1 TB 7200 rpm SATA

Display 43.9 cm (17.3") diagonal FHD 120 Hz IPS anti-glare WLED-backlit (1920 x 1080)

Keyboard Full-size backlit keyboard with numeric keypad and NKRO

Pointing device Touchpad with multi-touch gesture support

Wireless connectivity 802.11b/g/n/ac (2x2) Wi-Fi® and Bluetooth® 4.2 combo

Network interface Integrated 10/100/1000 GbE LAN

Expansion slots 1 multi-format SD media card reader

External ports 2 Thunderbolt™ 3 (Data Transfer up to 40 Gb/s, DP1.2, HP Sleep and Charge); 3 USB 3.1 Gen 1 (1 HP Sleep and Charge); 1 Mini DisplayPort™; 1 HDMI; 1 RJ-45; 1 headphone/microphone combo; 1 microphone-in

Dimensions (W x D x H) 42.5 x 32.72 x 3.64 cm

Weight 4.52 kg

Power supply type 330 W AC power adapter

Battery type 6-cell, 99 Wh Li-ion

Battery life mixed usage Up to 5 hours and 30 minutes

Video Playback Battery life Up to 4 hours and 15 minutes

Webcam HP Wide Vision FHD Camera with integrated dual array digital microphone

Audio features Bang & Olufsen, dual speakers, HP Audio Boost, DTS Headphone:X™ support

Thank you in advance

Nov 19, 2018
Hey XTB,

I had this exact laptop and of all of the HP laptops I've had, this has been the most impressive by far. The 7th gen I-core processor paired with Nvidia's GeForce 1080 discrete graphics card makes for a smooth computing experience, whether you are video editing, audio processing, or playing a videogame at 1080p60fps with all the highest settings selected. I never experienced any lag or stuttering (that wasn't attributed to internet latency). In fact the slowest part of this laptop was actually the SATA HDD. I completely appreciated the 1Tb of storage space available, since at any given time, I had around 350gb of games stored on it, but when it came to doing tasks such as transferring the games (or large chunks of data) between drives, solid state and even solid state hybrid drives always got the job done faster, in my experience. But, 1Tb of storage space outweighs the reduced read/write speed of the HDD, so I wasn't complaining, especially since the laptop has Thunderbolt (but more on that later). The 16gb of RAM was sufficient in day to day use, especially considering the dedicated video RAM on the GTX 1080. And one of my favourite features of this laptop, besides the screen, is the Thunderbolt USB 3.1 port. With a USB 3.1 Type-C cable, you'll get some of the fastest charging and data transfer rates you've probably ever experienced and the port can continue to provide power even when the laptop is powered down, as long as the battery has a charge. And, though I have not done this, Thunderbolt can apparently be used to connect to an external display in lieu of HDMI (or at the same time as HDMI to create an "infinity display" using multiple monitors), but I have yet to actually come across a monitor or tv that I could use it with, so I just used HDMI. Battery life is pretty decent when the CPU isn't in turbo boost, but using Intel's turbo boost for the CPU and Nvidia's boost clock for the GeForce GTX graphics card will take a toll on your battery and make your system run a little warm, so when doing anything taxing on your system, it's best to keep it plugged into the charger. And though it has some pretty nice fans, I still opted for a laptop cooling fan. I did use the camera every so often and it performs exactly how you would expect a laptop cam to perform, though I did appreciate the wide angle lens. It lets you capture much more in a single shot than a standard webcam usually allows, but at low light levels, you will notice noise and in really low light, possible artifacts, but in decent light, it makes for a nice Google Hangouts/Facebook Video Messenger video camera. Since I was used to 15.6in. laptops, I did find the size to be slightly cumbersome, but that wasn't even an actual issue, just an observation. It would take some prodding to get it into the laptop pouch of my backpack, though. Overall, this laptop is really nice, both in terms of aesthetic and performance and it hits all of the right checkmarks for a nice gaming laptop (Full HD 17in. 1080p display, 3.9GHz turbo boosted CPU speed, 1650 MHz base memory clock speed with an Nvidia GPU Boost 3.0 speed of 1800+ and a nice 16Gb of RAM with 8Gb GPU ram). With it's large screen and great processing power, this could be classified as a Desktop Replacement Unit, but I moved it around too often to actually hunker it down. I hope this helps with your decision/ gives you the insight you wanted into this laptop.