New PlayStation 3 Bundle Packs MGS4, Killzone 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerreece

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
Were I planning to buy a PS3 (which I'm not) I'd probably wait to see whether they is an actual hardware upgrade coming. Ultimately, a better performing PS3 would mean more to me than a couple of good games (which you'd probably buy anyhow since those are big titles).

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
[citation][nom]jerreece[/nom]Were I planning to buy a PS3 (which I'm not) I'd probably wait to see whether they is an actual hardware upgrade coming. Ultimately, a better performing PS3 would mean more to me than a couple of good games (which you'd probably buy anyhow since those are big titles).[/citation]
While you're waiting with no intention of buying the product, you can take English 101 with the author!

krazyk12

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2007
theres no hardware "UPGRADES" other than the fact, that the CPU is supposed to be shrunk to a 45nm process. Smaller, Cooler, More Efficient. Thats what u will get out of the new PS3.

apmyhr

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
If I wanted to get a PS3, I would wait for the slimmer one. I know it won't have any performance benifit, but the slimmer design and lower energy profile should make it last longer.

krazyk12

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2007
[citation][nom]aweadam[/nom]Backwards compatibility?[/citation]

a possibility. its not set in stone yet tho

Darkness Flame

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2008
Didn't Sony just pass a patent for a PS2 software emulator that can run on the Cell? It'd be useful, because the older PS3s that do emulate on software, can only play certain titles. Giving them a better emulator would resolve all those problem. Now, if they kept this new emulator to the slim version only, then I'd be upset. That, or if they charged money for it.

Regardless, every PS3 can already play PS1 games, so technically, every PS3 is backwards compatible, just not in the way some people want.

P_haze420

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
I would buy that hands down..... If I had money. I been wanting one since killzone 2 came out. That is the only reason why I want ps3.

anonymousdude

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2009
Sometimes games are not played for their graphics, but rather for their story and gameplay. I do agree that they should look forward, but without backwards compatibility people with a ps2 might not want to upgrade. FFx came out in 2001 and it doesn't look that bad.

chunkymonster

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2006
[citation][nom]soldier37[/nom]Backwards compat are u kidding it's almost 2010 why would you go backwards and play crappy looking 2001 era ps2 games.[/citation]

The Tenchu, R-Type, GTA, and Tekken series are reason enough to want backwards compatibility. Haven't bothered buying a PS3 because I still need my PS2 to play these games. And, sorry but having a Blu-Ray player and mediocre media player functionality may be "value-added" but still not reason enough to justify $399.

Contrary to what some folks may thing and like it or not, compelling gameplay and a good story line are what make a great game, it's not always about the eye candy. If you want eye candy, play games on the PC!

eccentric909

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
[citation][nom]krazyk12[/nom]theres no hardware "UPGRADES" other than the fact, that the CPU is supposed to be shrunk to a 45nm process. Smaller, Cooler, More Efficient. Thats what u will get out of the new PS3.[/citation]

A lot of people consider a die shrinks a hardware upgrade. I would personally say it is. While the PS3 is not known for overheating like the 360 is, there are still some reports of it happening and this will go even further to ensure it will not.

Maybe it'll get a different, more updated blu-ray drive as well. Which might also be an upgrade.

To say there are no hardware upgrades is not correct. The hardware might get upgraded, though you might not see any noticeable performance gains.

NYCGPS

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
[citation][nom]Eccentric909[/nom]A lot of people consider a die shrinks a hardware upgrade. I would personally say it is. While the PS3 is not known for overheating like the 360 is, there are still some reports of it happening and this will go even further to ensure it will not.Maybe it'll get a different, more updated blu-ray drive as well. Which might also be an upgrade.To say there are no hardware upgrades is not correct. The hardware might get upgraded, though you might not see any noticeable performance gains.[/citation]

In this case, I will use the word "Update" instead of "Upgrade."

"Update" Hardware is very common in consoles. Biggest reason to update , of course, is to reduce cost. 2nd is to fix any existing errata in the hardware itself.

NYCGPS

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
forgot to add, these update is just like CPU revisions.

Phenom for example. B2 and B3 stepping. B3 is here to fix some of the previous bugs and it also comes with better logic.

cracklint

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2008
[citation][nom]p_haze420[/nom]I would buy that hands down..... If I had money. I been wanting one since killzone 2 came out. That is the only reason why I want ps3.[/citation]

wow! 400 bucks to play one game.

Status
Not open for further replies.