New receiver surround problems with PC, need help

hoppingpulse

Distinguished
May 12, 2011
I just bought a new receiver, an Onkyo TX-SR444, I want to get surround for my PC games. I connected an HDMI cable from my tv to the receiver, and then another HDMI cable from my receiver to my graphics card. Under "audio settings - configure" on my PC it shows 7.1 surround (I have seven speakers set up for it) and sound comes through when I test it. It also shows support for several different Dolby and DTS formats. But when I try and play anything, a video or a game, it shows the Dolby double D icon in white but also PCM. When I hit the "mode" button on the receiver controller it shows Multichannel Dolby Surround, but I don't think I am getting true surround. When I use the receiver with my PS4 using an optical cable for just surround sound it changes to a red Dolby double d with a "D" next to it and a Dolby double d in white as well and shows no PCM and seems to be actual surround sound. I can't figure out why it won't also do this with my PC. Need some help, thanks.

UPDATE* I think I found the problem, the HDMI slot on my tv does not support ARC, so I think I need to add a digital optical cable from the receiver to the tv. I will test in a bit, if thats not the answer please let me know, will update once I have tried it.

UPDATE* Added a digital optical cable from the receiver to the tv, but that didn't change anything, when using my PC, it says PCM and shows the Dolby symbol as well, but I don't believe that is actual surround sound, still need some advice.

Solution
The connection between the TV and receiver will not change the sound of the PC since it is correctly connected directly to the receiver not the TV. I think you are letting the PC output 7.1 channels in PCM so it is doing the surround processing and sending the individual pcm channels to the receiver to be converted to analog and amplified. I think you will need to play with the settings in the PC audio menu. It may not be clear which setting is correct.
The optical connection from the TV would be for the internal TV tuner, smart apps, or anything connected to the TV but not to the receiver.
For these you will need to check the TV audio menu to see if it can be set to output in surround sound.

Ironsounds

Distinguished
Hello... Good cable and input checks... well done B /... Tyipically you have to have Dolby software to do more channels... B / and DOLBY is a "Royalty" trademark... they require fees... OR "Royalty" paid "software" this is a software problem... that must make that "Communications, and your Dolby receiver want too read it B /
Your Not doing anything wrong here... You get output of Dolby7.1... But Not input! B O read the fine print please. B /

The connection between the TV and receiver will not change the sound of the PC since it is correctly connected directly to the receiver not the TV. I think you are letting the PC output 7.1 channels in PCM so it is doing the surround processing and sending the individual pcm channels to the receiver to be converted to analog and amplified. I think you will need to play with the settings in the PC audio menu. It may not be clear which setting is correct.
The optical connection from the TV would be for the internal TV tuner, smart apps, or anything connected to the TV but not to the receiver.
For these you will need to check the TV audio menu to see if it can be set to output in surround sound.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS