New Sony will not pick up channels

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbergeson

Prominent
Feb 3, 2018
We just bought a new 65" TV Bravia Sony as we renovated the family room. Why will our older Samsung 42" pick up all channels and the newer Sony missed 12 digital channels? We've hooked them up each the same...big difference in tv's. Disappointed in the new Sony. Any ideas? Thank you.

Solution
Is the antenna split to multiple TVs?
If so you can get a distribution amp to compensate. You don't want to use two signal amps in series but it's fine to use a distribution amp with a signal amp. I doubt it would hurt the tuner but would not solve the problem.
An external tuner might help and provide a DVR and multiple tuners so you can record one program and watch another.

sbergeson

Prominent
Feb 3, 2018
No. This is not due to renovation as when we discovered the 65" missed channels we immediately hooked up the old tv and they were all there. I tend to agree that possibly the Sony tuner is not up to par in comparison to Samsung.
Since our OTA antennae is already amplified can we add another amplifier? Is there a concern for the tv if we over amplify?
Thank you.

Is the antenna split to multiple TVs?
If so you can get a distribution amp to compensate. You don't want to use two signal amps in series but it's fine to use a distribution amp with a signal amp. I doubt it would hurt the tuner but would not solve the problem.
An external tuner might help and provide a DVR and multiple tuners so you can record one program and watch another.

Solution

sbergeson

Prominent
Feb 3, 2018
can you please provide a link to both..the distribution amp and external tuner. For the super bowl gathering...we only had one direct cable from antennae to tv, not split, tried both tv's...the older smaller Samsung had the better signal but Sony definitely had the color. I really suspect it is Sony's tuner...if your above suggestions will help we will try. Baffles me how one tv picks up so many more channels under exact same circumstances.

Status
Not open for further replies.