new subwoofer has rca input only, but receiver (amplified) has only wire level: how to connect?

and.falcone

Prominent
Jan 20, 2018
Hello, pretty much as title says: i want to buy a new subwoofer (possibly Yamaha NS-SW100), which has rca input only. My receiver (amplified) has only speaker level wires flowing out: how to connect them? Thanks!

Solution
Just saw this thread so maybe I can clarify things.
The Pioneer has a powered subwoofer ( or .1 )output meant to be used by a passive subwoofer. You can get a passive sub and cut the end off the wire at the sub end. It will have two conductors.
If you want to use a self powered subwoofer some of them do have speaker level inputs that you can connect the same way you would the passive.
If the self powered sub only has line level inputs then a speaker to line level converter will work fine. Have used them many times.

and.falcone

Prominent
Jan 20, 2018

Thanks for your answer. My system is an old pre-made Home theater Pioneer S-DV222 (old dvd with 5.1).
I found adapters/converters digging, but they all seem to be for car audio, not sure if it's the same.
I'm looking to replace the original sub becuase it squeaks.
I could replace the receiver too, but they start from around 200? I'm on a budget

4745454b

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
The problem with that is it's not a dedicated sub output. Really need to use the ".1" output as that's going to have the dedicated sub channel. And for some reason it uses speaker wire?

I assume you already have the sub? Can you get a different one? Stick to something that is compatible with what you have.

kanewolf

Judicious

No it would be full frequency, but most powered subs have a low frequency filter in the RCA input line.

and.falcone

Prominent
Jan 20, 2018
Thanks for the reply. I still have to buy the sub, but unfortunately for a budget amount I can't find a sub that has the same connection (speaker wire). Also i'm in Europe and seems like there's different availability of makes and models than US. I'd go with another sub for a budget price, with speaker wire input, if I could find one.

and.falcone

Prominent
Jan 20, 2018
Ok, I just checked and that out has 2 pins left and right. I'd need to use an adapter to make the left-right into a single rca then, right?
Also I should add that the subwoofer I was looking to buy is a Yamaha NS-SW100

and.falcone

Prominent
Jan 20, 2018

I don't think it's blown... It's always been cheap and low quality, some films with poerful bass it can't handle them. I just wanted to get a new decent one, on a budget of < 200 euros

4745454b

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
The speaker would be a big part of that. Any low pass filter would be another part, and of course the case/porting inside. But if they used a super weak speaker that would be why it craps out during heavy bass scenes. I'm not even sure how easy it would be to get inside the unit, but if it is I'd consider just wiring in a new woofer.

and.falcone

Prominent
Jan 20, 2018
I've been digging and it seems like my best option, besides buying a new proper receiver, or a high level sub with many different inputs, is to get a high/low level converter (basically speaker wire to rca). It's just weird that i'll have to wire the speaker wires coming out of my Pioneer to the converter through a morsel or something.

Just saw this thread so maybe I can clarify things.
The Pioneer has a powered subwoofer ( or .1 )output meant to be used by a passive subwoofer. You can get a passive sub and cut the end off the wire at the sub end. It will have two conductors.
If you want to use a self powered subwoofer some of them do have speaker level inputs that you can connect the same way you would the passive.
If the self powered sub only has line level inputs then a speaker to line level converter will work fine. Have used them many times.

Solution