StealthArsenal

Distinguished
May 25, 2008
Hello all,

I am here looking for some suggestions on a potential tv replacement. First and foremost, I purchased last weekend a Vizio E55-C1 television from Best Buy. I had upgraded from a Sharp Aqous 46" LCD 1080P television. This TV got re-purposed for a renovation project which afforded me the opportunity to upgrade my tv.

Let me bring everything together here is some sort of organized thought process. I have spent the last few nights looking through several threads and getting a boatload of advise with regards to tweaking and calibrating the television to try and get it to where I want it. Keep in mine, that I am fully aware that this is not a crazy feature loaded television.

So what are my issues you might ask.

1. It would seem that in the blacks, I am getting quite a bit of backlight bleed at the bottom of the television.
2. It seems that even after calibration, that the colors and brightness are just off (washed out colors). If I switch the TV into calibrated mode, my whites are yellow and the screen is quite dark. I understand I can raise the backlight, but then we run back into issue No. 1 again. I understand that my old Sharp had a bit of a cool/blueish tint to it, but the image was excellent.
3. Active LED or Backlight seems to be more of a nuisance than a help in the sense that I can actually see the zones turning on and off, especially in a dark room. However, with this feature off, again the screen is way to dark.

So, what have I been able to do thus far. I can remove a majority of the backlight bleed assuming the backlight brightness is down. Running on calibrated mode bothers me. I have my own view on how colors should look (I understand everyone is different) but it just doesn't look right. I can straighten out the white by going to a cool mode and bringing the backlight brightness up. I don't seem to have an issue with the quality of the picture, but rather getting colors and backlight set correctly. With that said, I seem to think that since Vizio does the whole calibration different in a sense that you can't tweak the picture like a Sony or Samsung, I might be better off getting a different and/or better television.

With that said, I can work with it some more, or I can use my 45 day return period with Best Buy and try something different. If I go that route I have selected a few TV's that are appealing to me and I saw in Best Buy as well. Keep in mind I am coming from primarily using Sharp televisions for years and years, so I am a bit biased there.

1. Vizio M55-C2 (4K) - I understand this uses a different panel configuration that aids to brightness and such. 32 active backlight zones. (~$680)
2. Sharp Aquos LC-60TQ15U (60" Aquos Q+) (~$740)
3. Sharp Aquos LC-60EQ10U (60" Aquos Q) ($560)
4. Samsung UN60H6350 (60") ($670)
5. Sony KDL60W630B (60" $750)

Let me know what your thoughts are. With the Aquos, I understand they are left overs from early this year or late 2014.

Thanks
Chris

Solution
Sharp has recently sold their TV business to Hisense so you might have issues getting Sharp TVs serviced down the road. It sounds like you want a TV that has the best chance of being calibrated correctly. Check with the AVS forum as their members have a lot of experience with different sets.
My best guess is that you will be able to calibrate the Sony or Samsung set better than the others. If your budget allows the best picture is in OLED TVs.
Sharp has recently sold their TV business to Hisense so you might have issues getting Sharp TVs serviced down the road. It sounds like you want a TV that has the best chance of being calibrated correctly. Check with the AVS forum as their members have a lot of experience with different sets.
My best guess is that you will be able to calibrate the Sony or Samsung set better than the others. If your budget allows the best picture is in OLED TVs.

Solution

StealthArsenal

Distinguished
May 25, 2008
I won't be able to grab an OLED as that is just out of my budget right now. If I went Sharp, I would have to get the Geek Squad extended warranty for the very reason you mention. I'm just not sure out of my choices, what would be the best route to go. All seemed to have similar reviews on rtings.