New Worm Tries To Delete Your Security Software

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

[citation][nom]WyomingKnott[/nom]With all due respect to Renegade_Warrior, after reading this article I am extremely unlikely to click on the link![/citation]
The link itself is safe as it goes to Spywareinfoforum.com forums which is a Security Related website.

If anything, Systems Security is a specialty of mine and the link I had provided in my first reply to this thread contains a wealth of information on the Worm that this Article is about.

If the link was not safe, randomizer who by the way is a Moderator here, would have removed my post and I would have been warned if not worse.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]randomizer[/nom]I would hope that it was fixed prior to release, but the Win 7 RC had a number of very simple exploits which took advantage of the weakened UAC security and made "root" filesystem changes without generating UAC prompts. Of course these can be negated (providing there's no other serious hole in UAC) by bumping UAC settings up to force prompts to occur all the time, which is how it should be.Sadly, too many people who are incapable of safely using their PCs either ignore the prompt and just accept it (passwords would reduce the occurrence of this), or simply disable UAC altogether.[/citation]
True that it was preferable if the UAC prompt came configured to alwaus notify by default, which is the option I use. If people turn UAC off or simply ignore it's warning then they're the ones at fault. It would be preferable if the UAC asked for the password this way perhaps it would dissuade some people, but still many would just type the password.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]thearm[/nom]Not that you're going to read this or even care (fanboy?), but the only problem Windows has is that it's popular. If other OS's where as popular, flaws in it would be exploited as well. A virus writer has very little to gain by writing a virus for Linux as opposed to Windows.[/citation]
You're analogy doesn't add up. In terms of servers Linux has a bigger market share than Microsoft, yet they have much less exploits.

cmartin011

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
i do see the taking a big hit at the XP users with little knowledge. linux users are safe again. win vista and 7 need to be weary UAC is not enough to make up for a dump user!

ldrndarski

Honorable
Sep 28, 2013
I truly do not understand what the thrill is in these hackers that put these malicious viruses out there to infect peoples computers, its really un-nerving!

Status
Not open for further replies.