New Xbox 360 Literally Can't Red Ring of Death

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rollerdisco

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2010
[citation][nom]wotan31[/nom]LOL, it's still Microsoft though. It WILL end up crashing, getting viruses, and just making your day miserable in general. I'll be keeping my PS3 thanks.[/citation]
Enjoy playing games with 1/5 the players

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
[citation][nom]brendano257[/nom]I would venture a guess that there might be a USB adapter at some point.I can't decide which sounds better...GROD or RROD..[/citation]

Actually, one of the E3 Xbox 360 videos indicate that the old Xbox 360s will require an extra power adapter is all, as previously stated. Kinect will come with a USB adapter...MS has already stated multiple times that "Natal" would be 100% compatible with all existing Xbox 360s.

tokenz

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2006
[citation][nom]The_King[/nom]The main reason PC's will always make more sense to me than consoles your mobo goes faulty and is out of warranty, chuck it get another, graphics card calls it quits and no warranty no problem you can sort it out still but this crap, is something I think is unacceptable my buddy had is 360 red ring of death its just over 3 years old and now it just still in his cupboard. Lets not start a Pc console flaming thingy, just my opinion.[/citation]

While I agree to a certain point, If my motherboard or graphics card bites the dust its more expensive than just replacing the console. Here is the reason I play mostly console over my pc. All my friends have a 360. So COD, Battlefield, Most of those games I play on console. Portal, half life, Crysis, I play on my pc. So I can either have good graphics or play with friends. Sucks/ Also my girlfriend hates when I go downstairs for 10hours straight.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
[citation][nom]sinsear[/nom]Darn. Green Ring of Death sounds nowhere near as frightening as Red Ring of Death.[/citation]
We'll just call it the Green Glow of Gaiety... or just Green Glow of Doom, if you want to be more politically correct.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
[citation][nom]gho3t[/nom]Adapter! Yeah Kinect will work with old 360s, it was confirmed at E3.[/citation]

They'll probably go the "Apple" route and charge $20 for that adapter in addition to the device itself.

Wheat_Thins

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
[citation][nom]rollerdisco[/nom]Enjoy playing games with 1/5 the players[/citation]

Math is definitely not your strong point.

gverrault

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2008
The die shrink to 45nm as well as combining the CPU and GPU on the same die I would think should resolve most of the heat issues. On top of that the new unit only draws 135 watts as opposed to 200 watts of the original which should mean the CPU/GPU is drawing a lot less power and generating a lot less heat.

jkchang626

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2009
It's funny how Sony went backwards with the PS3 (mechanical buttons, removed ports, etc) while the 360 has moved forward (touch sensitive buttons, built in wireless/etc). I guess the PS3 price drops did dent the 360 sales a bit.

Caffeinecarl

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2008
[citation][nom]fusion_gtx[/nom]I like the looks of the new console, but I can't imagine they've solved the heating issues.[/citation]
Too bad there's no BIOS to enter, and no real way to do an actual stress test on this thing. I'd undervolt everything and lose the heat quick!

Teen Geek

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
[citation][nom]Chipi[/nom]Wait a minute... "Kinect port"? Does this mean that Kinect/Natal only works on the new console?[/citation]
Nope.
In the old Xbox 360, you use a USB port and and a wall power socket to Kinect connect, umm, I mean connect Kinect to your Xbox.
The stealthbox gives Kinect enough power through the Kinect port.

bochica

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
[citation][nom]superblahman123[/nom]no video card spec?... or are they still thinking?I hope they go with something DX11, but to make that affordable they'd have to go ATI.[/citation]
You can't just add a Dx11 card and expect it to run DX11 in a console. It requires updating the OS, probably the motherboard, charging extra for a mostly different system, etc. The Dx in the 360 is an early version of Dx10, nothing more. The best they can do with the GPU in the console is a die shrink, like the other consoles have done in the past.

smashley

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
Capacitive touch on/off is kinda cool, though it would be easy to turn off by accident unless I'm missing something (probably)

will_chellam

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
[citation][nom]fusion_gtx[/nom]I like the looks of the new console, but I can't imagine they've solved the heating issues.[/citation]

Why's that?

If you look at the specs, the PSU is 135W - and that includes the power to supply a kinect if used plus any USB devices - so you anicipate 135W includes some breathing space.

Compare that to the 205W for the original Xbox360 and you can see that as the component die-sizes have shrunk and more components been integrated onto single chips, the power requirement and efficiency has improved.

My conservative estimate (based on limited specs)is that the new system probably puts out about 35% less heat than the original Xbox360....

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]The_King[/nom]The main reason PC's will always make more sense to me than consoles your mobo goes faulty and is out of warranty, chuck it get another,~~ Lets not start a Pc console flaming thingy, just my opinion.[/citation]

But that doesn't matter if there ARE NO GAMES for PC to play, eh? Maybe a few games.

Lets see... Gears of War 2 and 3... no PC version. HALO 3? Its been 5 years... NO HALO 3? Lets see, MS-games... MS-Xbox, nope - not even MS is supporting PC gaming, why bother with DX11?

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
Why do they list the HD Storage specs as "Memory"? Makes them look rather ignorant and it makes me wonder what the actual memory is.

Status
Not open for further replies.