News Corp Attempts to Compete With iPad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerky_san

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
I actually really like the device.. I wonder if they will allow other things besides newspapers.. Like manga or comics? Also wonder about the cost?

Transmaniacon

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2008
It will probably be too expensive for such a niche item. I am sure this new flexible screen technology is pricy, and if this thing runs around $300, then people will probably just get an iPad and enjoy all the additional features...

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]Transmaniacon[/nom]It will probably be too expensive for such a niche item. I am sure this new flexible screen technology is pricy, and if this thing runs around $300, then people will probably just get an iPad and enjoy all the additional features...[/citation]

But by going iPad, you lose the thing that makes E-readers so great: they're pleasant to read. Unlike LCD, E-ink doesn't strain the eyes, doesn't become unpleasant after a while and offers a long battery life.

For reading books, there's nothing better than E-ink (for now).

G

It's stylish and it looks incredibly light. It wouldn't replace my iPad (if I owned one), but it would hands down replace my kindle 2 - assuming it has semi-decent battery life by e-reader standards.

Snipergod87

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
[citation][nom]Jerky_san[/nom]I actually really like the device.. I wonder if they will allow other things besides newspapers.. Like manga or comics? Also wonder about the cost?[/citation]
Manga would be pretty sick but some of it is in color :(

eyemaster

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
I'd get that much faster than I would the iPad. However I have -100 intentions to get the iPad and 0 intentions to get a device like this...

HalJordan

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Price is definitely going to determine success. Ridiculously undercut the iPad and you have yourself a contender (make up the difference in subscription fees).

r0x0r

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
[citation][nom]shin0bi272[/nom]this is probably the only way to save print media at this point... good call newscorp.[/citation]

It's not really the medium itself but the content that's the issue.

Whenever I ask a Gen-Y about newspapers I always get a cynical sneer. Apparently they don't like patronizing headlines...

zmbcat

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
I actually like this, i need a laptop for comfortable reading/studying (i find most of book i need online, cheaper than to order, and most of study material in digital form..). I just hope the price isnt too big if the device is just for reading.

Status
Not open for further replies.