Next Nintendo Console With Blu-ray, Quad CPU?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

adamboy64

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
[citation][nom]reprotected[/nom]Performs faster than GTX 490 Quad-SLI with Intel HD 3000 acceleration for movies, Quadro 6000 for texture rendering, and Tesla C2050 4-way SLI for physics processing. Consumes 40 watts max.For processors, quad-core with 10,000 threads, all clocked at 150 watts, which performs faster than 50 8-core Sandy Bridges.64 GB of RAM, 512 GB of SSD memory, LAN gaming support, and sound card that supports audio quality better than $1000 A/V receivers, 10.2 surround sound.Oh, and it prints MONEY![/citation]
Lolz.. That'll probably be the PS4.
It'll cost them $5000 to make, but they'll cut a loss again and sell it for $599.
And then people won't buy it - too expensive.

K3vBot6000

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
There needs to be some form of advancement for the Wii. As it stands now, it is falling behind the technical capabilities of the PS3 and Xbox 360 to a point that most people will not consider it in the same league.

iam2thecrowe

Distinguished
i vote to go back to rom/flash cartridges. surely this technology can be produced cheap enough with large storage sizes to make it viable. It will eliminate so much loading time which is the thing i hate most about my PS3.

adamboy64

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
25 year old rehashes? I guess you mean Virtual Console..
[citation][nom]iam2thecrowe[/nom]i vote to go back to rom/flash cartridges. surely this technology can be produced cheap enough with large storage sizes to make it viable. It will eliminate so much loading time which is the thing i hate most about my PS3.[/citation]

Yes, flash memory has come along quite far in the last 15 years.. I think it could be used well on a next-gen system.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
I doubt they'd bother with a BluRay, even Sony doesn't need the space most of the time. I'd say a downloadable option with flash based carts as well to transition people into a download only scenario. Nintendo considers Japan a more important priority than US, and Japan's internet could handle the bandwidth.
I doubt that projector is for projecting the display either. Everything they do anymore involves some sort of interaction. You should probably thinking something more along those lines, We could even perhaps dream of holographic projections being involved. Maybe they want to remove the display altogether.

Also I don't even see why the hardware is a discussion, hardware specs are irrelevant on consoles. It would be outdated by a PC within the year anyway, people don't play consoles for the best hardware specs.

Anyway' if it's coming out this year, it will get announced at E3, Nintendo always announces their new consoles at E3 and puts them out for the holidays.

adamboy64

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
[citation][nom]mayankleoboy1[/nom]nintendo will be dead in the next 5 years.[/citation]
Fortunately, thanks to the Wii, they'd need to have a couple of gens of consoles totally flop for that to happen. And for them to just decide to stop making handhelds.

vpalodic

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2011
For this response, I have limited myself to the data provided in the article. I could probably get way more exact figures if I did some research but, I am not going to do that. My response is an exercise in how to analyze an article for continuity and reasonableness. Nothing else so please accept it as such.
According to the article, we can assume an avg. of 19,960 units sold per day in the U.S. between 11/19/2006 and 12/31/2010 if we accept the number in the article that Nintendo sold 30,000,000 Wiis during that time (30,000,000 / 1503 = 19,960, I used 1503 as that is the number of days between 11/19/2006 and 12/31/2010.)
If avg. daily units sold continue at the same rate, then from the first of this year through 6/30/2011 we can assume around 3,592,800 units would be sold during that time frame (180 days from 1/1/2011 through 6/30/2011 multiplied by the daily average of 19,960 units and we get 3,592,800.) Adding those units sold to the total of Wiis sold since launch we can expect around a total of 33,592,800 Wiis sold in the U.S. by June 31st, 2011. That is far short of the 45,000,000 units sold needed for Nintendo to showcase their NextGen console according to the article.
I don’t really care if Nintendo introduces a new console or not at E3. What really bothers me is that the author of this article states, “Surely Nintendo will have raked in its required 45 million before June-- more than 30 million units had sold as of December 2010.” Had the author done some very simple arithmetic, I would hope they never would have considered making that statement. What makes it even worse, is that at the beginning of the article, the author knowingly admits they are aware Wii’s age and sales figures and so should have been able to make a more educated guess at the totals; having sold roughly 30 million units since launch the Wii’s six month sales avg. is far shy of 15 million units. Here is what the author said, “The Wii also turns 5-years-old this year, meaning Nintendo is due for a hardware refresh soon.”
Even if we don’t work out the exact answer and simply estimate instead, how do you reasonably come to the conclusion that Nintendo can sell 15 million units in six months when u can guestimate that they sell about 3.6 million units during a six month period? I mean the author’s estimate is so far off given the facts they provided. It really makes me pause and contemplate why this article was even written.
Oh Well, I guess that will be left to a future post.

sleeace

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2011
I bet Nintendo won't reveal next Wii console this year but next year E3. And release in 2013. All because 28nm will be ready until 2012.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]themaddscientist[/nom]The only reason I can see for it to include a projector is to also include polarization style 3D effects. This would enable cheap glasses. This is certainly much different than any other console, and would greatly distinguish it from the crowd.[/citation]
I seriously doubt that since you need a special projection screen so that the image can retain polarization.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]kinect is basically the playstation eye on steroids.[/citation]
Sorry, but no. Playstation Eye is just a webcam, nothing more, nothing less. Kinect uses two cameras and a depth sensor to determine the player position and moves in 3d. The Playstation Eye can't do this.

eccentric909

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
[citation][nom]adamboy64[/nom]Heard these rumours many times before.. I don't think a new Nintendo console will arrive until at least mid 2012.Also, there's 30+ million more Wii's been sold than the 360's than anything. Not being a fanboy or anything, just wanted to say it's still far from profitable. No need to kick it to the kerb yet.[/citation]

Since they're just talking referring to US Sales in the article, here are the actual US totals from system launch(es) to January 2011: The company (Nintendo) still leads the current console market with 34.5 million Wii units sold in the U.S., in total, with Microsoft's Xbox 360 coming in second place at 25.8 million, followed by Sony's PlayStation 3 at 15.7 million.

eccentric909

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
[citation][nom]soldier37[/nom]And how many young kids getting the new wii will care about pushing the envelope with this power also Ive had a quad core and blu ray for a few years now so this isnt anything breath taking at all. 8 core bulldozer CPU at 4ghz, 3 x SSD/2 TB hd ,over 200 blu ray digital files, AMD 6990 4GB gaming card will own this all day on my PC anyway so meh to kiddie nintendo.[/citation]

Why do you always have to say almost the exact same thing in every article? Either bragging about an iPhone or your mythical computer with specs that keep getting "upgraded" as the new "hotness" is pushed out?

Bah, I should just ignore it.. some kids just love to brag about things they'll never obtain. /shrug

G

@captaincharisma

i guess a F350 is just a focus on steroids too then.....

adamboy64

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
[citation][nom]eccentric909[/nom]Since they're just talking referring to US Sales in the article, here are the actual US totals from system launch(es) to January 2011: The company (Nintendo) still leads the current console market with 34.5 million Wii units sold in the U.S., in total, with Microsoft's Xbox 360 coming in second place at 25.8 million, followed by Sony's PlayStation 3 at 15.7 million.[/citation]
Ah I see. Nintendo's based in Japan so that will be the basis of any decision they make regarding sales.

vinnywong

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2008
Somehow I doubt that will happen. Nintendo always have slower hardware than competitors ever since the NEC and Sega era. I will be happy if they have a blue ray drive.
Maybe they can have more mature games, such as Nintendo vs Capcom. Imagine Mario fights with Ryu....

G

Cant wait (Maybe?)
I hope nintendo starts making the mother series :p

Status
Not open for further replies.