Next PSP 'F**king Powerful,' Packs 4-Core Cell CPU

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]ronch79[/nom]4-core Cell CPU? I don't get it. The PS3 packs a CPU with one PPE (Primary Processing Engine) and 7 SPEs (Synergistic Processing Engine), which are individually less powerful than the PPE. So is the PSP2 packing four PPEs or four SPEs?Nonetheless, a multi-core-powered handheld really breaks some world records, doesn't it?[/citation]

well given thatt eh cell chiop is essientally chunk with out the PPE controling the whole thing , i would have to guess it will have one PPE and 3 SPE's but who knows , i'm not really that big into hand held gaming , i rarely travel so i se no need for it honestly

LordConrad

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2007
[citation][nom]vant[/nom]Jesus. When will Sony get it? It's not all about power, it's how you control it. I guess they still haven't learned from nintendo.[/citation]

Jesus had nothing to do with it.

dbrooks08

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
4 cores is an amazing stat to throw at people but like many people have already said battery life will be in question until its in hands. If the PS3 is amazing as the fanboys like to believe you would be crazy to think it will put out the same exact games (port) in a handheld.

Sony has to make this thing almost God-like, because ipod/ipad AND DSxx are doing really well. The one angle I can see them goin with is that PSP2 is a "hardcore" experience. If they push that hard enough they might see some success.

I dont like Sony all too much (respect them) but esp dont like Apple coming into gaming as they jus dumb things down for the average consumer. Sony needs a winner here!

Does anyone know if that pic is a concept? i like the button placement, jus a photo tho....

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
I guess some of those cores will be busy with protection mechanisms all the time. The myth, I guess, is that current PSP doesn't sell well because of, you know, piracy.

I wonder if anyone could notice that xbox360 could be easily hacked, yet it is quite profitable.

nionloz

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
Clever stuff. The Cell is well catered for in the games industry now and any "it's too hard" stuff has been put out of its misery with new dev tools and a little less ignorance(Although, we'll still get people quoting rumour and postulations from 4 years ago). If they are going for a Cell processor with a die shrink, less cores and lower clock speed, then fuck yeah; I'm in!!!

G

sony have dropped the ball, the australian PSN sucks, the amount of games available for download are just a joke, give me an iphone please

idisarmu

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2008
[citation][nom]stephen0983[/nom]I wonder what the resolution on that thing will be. I would prefer 1280x720 but maybe that's not realistic[/citation]
[citation][nom]anamaniac[/nom]~!~I already gave up on my PSPgo (and trying to sell it). Maybe Sony hasn't though.The Cowon S9 PMP is a 500MHz dual core, so why not multiple cores on a PSP (a device that actually needs the power)?1366x768 multitouch OLED, dual analog sticks, two MicroSD slots, 1GB RAM, 64GB internal memory, and no damned UMD support?PLZPLZPLZ...PLEASE!?!?[/citation]

Neither of these predictions are realistic. There is simply NO WAY they will stuff a 720p screen into the PSP, especially a touch screen, if they want to make it even slightly affordable.

I think it's safe to say that this thing will have 256mb-512mb (maybe 1gb if we're lucky) of RAM, a graphics that are a bit better than the original xbox, but at a higher resolution.(Maybe something along the lines of an ATI HD45XX or 9500GT for the GPU- power wise) an FWVGA screen, and a CPU with about as much power as a ULV cpu.

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
... when has cell actually benefited Sony, other than marketing hype and folding the cell processor has been more of a hindrance than a benefit to the PS3. Had they jammed a simpler quad core into the system at the time I guarantee you it wouldn't have taken developers this many years to figure out how to make a decent performing game on the system and the system would have a bigger market footprint than it does today.

Keep it simple and maybe the devs will embrace the new device...

Netherscourge

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
They should have it play Blu-Ray discs too.

Think about it -a portable Blu-Ray player...

Yes, Sony - do it. Make it a tad-bit bigger and stick a Blu-Ray player in the thing.

segio526

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
If they're using Cell processors that didn't have 7 working cores, then this should bring the price down on the PS3. Currently, part of the PS3's price covers the Cell processors that came off the line and had defects that prevented all of the cores from working. Under clocking the chip, disabling a good core or two (since they only need 1 PPE and 3 of the 7 SPEs) and putting them into PSP2s is a great way of "improving" your yields.

And I know that the PS3 only uses 6 of the SPEs, but again, when they first started cranking out Cells, they yields were much too low, so they finalized on 1 PPE and 6 SPEs. If a chip came off the line with a damaged SPE, it was still good to go. If all 7 SPEs were in tact, they just disabled one.

Status
Not open for further replies.