Nexus 5 vs LG G2 indecision

smarques

Estimable
Aug 17, 2014
Hello guys.

I'm in a dilema. Atm I have an Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini, but it is starting to struggle with the new updates do Apps and stuff because of his poor cpu.

I was looking to buy either Nexus 5 or LG G2. I love the concept of "clean" android on Nexus 5, but I heard that his battery his way too bad, as well as the camera (compared with LG G2). On the other hang, I don't like the looks on LG G2, and although it was like the best smartphone in 2013, maybe it will start to fall behing because I doubt it will have Android L support.

Now, I need some advices. Is the Nexus 5 battery really that bad? Like, i'm not that hard user, I use quite a bit of WiFi and stuff, but nothing special. But you know, I don't want to be worried about charging my smartphone every 10 hours or something.

What do u guys think? Is the LG G2 really worth buying right now? And Nexus 5, my biggest concern is the battery duration... Because I really like Nexus 5, the battery issue is what is making me thinking about buying the G2 instead.

PS - they have the same price in my country.

Thanks!

Solution
Out of these two phones I would personally go with the G2.
It just is the better phone overall in my opinion.
Better battery life, better screen, slimmer bazels, and it does also come with some pretty useful features like split screen or whatever it's called.
As for Android L, the Nexus 5 is probably going to be the first phone to get it. No doubt. But the LG G2 won't likely be far behind.
And if you like the clean stock android look, you can get that through ROM's like Cyanogenmod for example.

However, there are also many other phones you need to consider.
The Sony Xperia Z1 and Z1 Compact are about the same price (at least where I live) and they both have a lot to offer.

You should also look into other phones such as the upcoming...

MeteorsRaining

Estimable
Jul 27, 2014
The Nexus 5 appeals to all the users, but the battery IS INDEED a big concern. It drains like 10% over 1GB of data download over WiFi or like 20% over an hour of video watching. The LG G2 is much, much better here and can even last 2 days with medium-high usage. LG's also a good phone overall.

A typical user will watch video, use sms, email, whatsapp, some music, do some office stuff like checking docs, web surfing, gaming for 30 mins average each. The fully charged Nexus will drop to 30-40% over this and it can even be worse. I wouldn't recommend it to a power user just because of its battery. If you feel you'll do less tasks than I mentioned (which's unlikely) then you may lean towards the Nexus 5.

What's your specific usage?

If you want good battery life then you should consider the G2 over Nexus.

smarques

Estimable
Aug 17, 2014

As you said above, I call myself a typical user, although I don't watch too many videos during the day (at least right now, because my actual phone is not that fast and it bores me sometimes). But yeah, I basically use the phone as my computer when I'm not home.

I also like the G2's stuff, but first, it should have the LG's "trash" stuff like every smartphone has. And with only 16GB, no memory card slot, I'm scared that I will not enough space for everything. I know Nexus 5 it's the same thing, but it's a clean android, it should have a little more space avaiable right?

If only Nexus 5 had like a 2600 mA battery... :(

Or maybe the solution is to wait for new phones. But I can't spend more than this (Nexus's price) on a phone.

Although G2 is a great phone, it has been more than 1 year since it's release, and now with the new G3 i'm concern that I will buy a new phone that in 1 year from now will be bad (no updates and stuff)... Don't want to make that mistake and waste another 300€ on a new phone next year.

Kamen_BG

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011
Out of these two phones I would personally go with the G2.
It just is the better phone overall in my opinion.
Better battery life, better screen, slimmer bazels, and it does also come with some pretty useful features like split screen or whatever it's called.
As for Android L, the Nexus 5 is probably going to be the first phone to get it. No doubt. But the LG G2 won't likely be far behind.
And if you like the clean stock android look, you can get that through ROM's like Cyanogenmod for example.

However, there are also many other phones you need to consider.
The Sony Xperia Z1 and Z1 Compact are about the same price (at least where I live) and they both have a lot to offer.

You should also look into other phones such as the upcoming Xiaomi Mi4, the OnePlus One, the Huawei Honor 6, ZTE Nubia MAX, or if battery life is a priority, something like the THL 5000.

Solution

MeteorsRaining

Estimable
Jul 27, 2014
The G2 has 10.6GB user available memory (UI crapware) and the Nexus has 12.5GB available for actual use.
Clearly the Nexus wins here.

Battery wise I can't be partial and be more frank that G2 is the king.

Tbh, waiting is worst thing and will only confuse you more, you see, we know about the Nexus and G2 just because they've been tested by users and their pros and cons not just known but evaluated too. Any new phone will make you lack such privilage. I wanted to get a solid mid range phone in '12 and got samsung Omnia, 2 years later I'm on an Xperia M and its like double the performance and less price compared to the previous phone.

You'll always get cheaper and more powerful phones as time goes by, but then you're just waiting for a wonder like Moto G in your segment too. Waiting isn't worth it IMO.

Your last point is true however. Nexus 5 is google's latest offering, and by record they keep their previous users happy. Its just that Nexus 5 has a bitter battery or else its an amazing phone, you know it better.

G2 won't be bad, just outdated in terms of software. hardware is pretty solid so 2 years will be easy with next gen apps as they're trying to be efficient and not resource hungry.

My overall choice would be G2, good value for money.

smarques

Estimable
Aug 17, 2014
Yeah, I might go for G2, but it will be a problem in my head till I buy the phone.

if I had the certainty that the G2 will have Android L, I would go straight for it without thinking. But I think it's better to have kinda an outdated phone software than always being with the phone charger on my pocket. damnnn it's hard :D

smarques

Estimable
Aug 17, 2014
I forgot to say, I might aswell watch some streams on twitch.tv (completly forgot about that). Sooooooo, if I choose Nexus 5, I watch a stream for 30 minutes, and I think I run out of battery, don't I? :D

And yeah, I saw that articles you posted yesterday. But with these now "second generation" smartphones (because of the new G3) I expect nothing, so I think the KitKat will be my home for some years... :p

MeteorsRaining

Estimable
Jul 27, 2014
The G2 got a slightly bigger and brighter display so it holds the edge here aswell. And that battery'll make sure you watch 4 hours HD straight w/o having to worry about power :)
Kitkat ain't bad too! :D