nexus 7 youtube problems

Portuguesetechie

Honorable
Dec 5, 2013
So i recently started using my nexus 7 as a youtube machine, and its pretty much UN-usable, youtube works fine on my laptop, desktop, phone, and even on my friends ipad, but my nexus 7 will not YT decently on my wifi, video stutters every 5secs, if i want to watch a 5min vid ill have to let it buffer for 10min and even then it may lagg, even in non-hd settings, please help, i am desperate, i have tried clearing caches and doing all sorts of stuff like reboots but it wont work........ The thing that drives me even crazier is on my college's wifi network the YT works fine, and it has less bandwith than i do in my house
Please help

Solution
Yes, that's odd.Do you have yours in a case? Perhaps it's overheating and throttling. I know tablets don't get as hot as laptops, but worth looking into. If you are sure your wifi speeds and internet speeds are ok, then I'm not sure what else to check for.

Hawkeye22

Distinguished
Is this a 1st or 2nd gen nexus 7? Are you using the YouTube app that came with the nexus or are you trying to use a browser? I have a 2nd gen (2013) and when using the YT app that came preinstalled, I have no issues with YT. Run a speed test and see what kind of bandwidth you're getting. You can also swipe down from the top right to bring down your menu, select your wifi setting to bring up a list of acess points, select the one you're currently connected to and it should show your connection grade (poor, good, excellent) and your current wifi connection speed.

Also, try closing down background apps. If you have multiple user accounts set up, be sure the other accounts apps are closed down too.

Portuguesetechie

Honorable
Dec 5, 2013
2nd gen, its the Youtube app that came with the Tablet
I get very good speed, i get the same as my pc which is about 2.5mbp/s not sure its fine on my pc, i can use YT and play BF4 without lagg
It shows the connection is great, i have 1 account running and i close all my apps before i use YT; i also have no other machines using the Wifi at the same time, it makes no difference

Hawkeye22

Distinguished
Yes, that's odd.Do you have yours in a case? Perhaps it's overheating and throttling. I know tablets don't get as hot as laptops, but worth looking into. If you are sure your wifi speeds and internet speeds are ok, then I'm not sure what else to check for.

Solution

Portuguesetechie

Honorable
Dec 5, 2013
it is in a case, when i play a lot on it with demanding games it tends to heat a little but didnt know that also affected youtube, maybe that might be the problem, ill try do that again today and see if it does any good :) thanks a lot mate, been told its the youtube app itself, i dont care just want to watch my videos u know? :/

Hawkeye22

Distinguished
It's possible it's the youtube app, but I'm not seeing problems with mine. when I play RealRacing3 it can get pretty warm. I'm sure internally, it's hotter.

Also, depending on when you purchased yours, you may be on an older version of the Android OS. I updated mine shortly after I got it. Mine is now running Android OS.... off hand I can't remember if it's 4.4.2 or 4.4.3. Anyhow, it's KitKat.

Portuguesetechie

Honorable
Dec 5, 2013
Mine runs kitkat too, so it probably isnt from that, ill try the case thing and report back thanks :)
It had jellybean but when i came home and did first config it asked to go for kit kat and i said yes

Portuguesetechie

Honorable
Dec 5, 2013
So mate, if i could i would kiss you, ill explain, last night i did what u said and removed the case, and for some reason, maybe the air flow like u mentioned its working, flawlessly, i mean it plays 40minute videos without any lagg, thank you soo much :) ill keep trying but i think its fixed

Portuguesetechie

Honorable
Dec 5, 2013
Yes i thought as much, maybe it screws with the antennas, heating or smthing, also thought the magnet in the case might interfere a bit but my last case didnt have magnets, its probably the wifi blockage, even thought the signal still shows full strenght, anyway as long as it works
:) thanks mate, also hope more people see this thread because there are a LOT of nexus 7 YT error stuff on google support forums