Nikon D3400 AF compatiblity

SirMelon

Commendable
Aug 8, 2016
Evening guys.
So I have ventured out of the computer forums into here for advice on my first DSLR, I have decieded on a D3400 (cheap, good all around as I do urbex and hiking).
I was looking at utilising the AutoFocus feature for shooting video when walking around as well as taking shots while hanging out of windows etc to assist with that however on the technical spec page it lists that it is:
"Single-servo AF (AF-S), Continuous-servo AF (AF-C), Auto AF-S/AF-C selection (AF-A"
However the Kit Lense that is sold by Jessops is an AF-P lens so is it incompatible then or simply a bad buy? (I do not plan on buying more lenses in the near future)

https://www.jessops.com/p/nikon/d3400-digital-slr-in-black-with-18-55mm-f-3-5-5-6-af-p-vr-lens-100512

Thanks guys (other advice appreciated!)

Solution
I think you are confusing auto-focus modes with the lens' servo drive motor type.

AF-S lens are Nikon's Silent Wave Motor servo series. AF-P is the pulse-drive (stepper) servo series and then you have the (N)AI lens which rely on a body motor which the D3xxx/5xxx bodies don't have.

Continuous Auto-Focus and its other variants are software options on the camera to tell it to maintain focus over time instead of only focusing when you initially put your finger on the shutter half-way and is available on any lens+body combination capable of auto-focus.

InvalidError

Distinguished
I think you are confusing auto-focus modes with the lens' servo drive motor type.

AF-S lens are Nikon's Silent Wave Motor servo series. AF-P is the pulse-drive (stepper) servo series and then you have the (N)AI lens which rely on a body motor which the D3xxx/5xxx bodies don't have.

Continuous Auto-Focus and its other variants are software options on the camera to tell it to maintain focus over time instead of only focusing when you initially put your finger on the shutter half-way and is available on any lens+body combination capable of auto-focus.

Solution