Nikon D3400 External Flash Not Working

jijarugen

Prominent
Aug 26, 2017
Products I'm using are the Neewer 750II TTL Flash Speedlite, Altura Photo Wireless Flash Trigger, and the Nikon D3400.

No matter what I do, I can not get the camera to set this flash off. I have the Transmitter in the Camera's hotshoe, the reciever set to Camera mode and attached to the Speedlite, and they're set to the same channel. Half pressing the receiver button, both lights go green so I know they're connected, however with a full press they go red.

The pilot button on the speedlite works and flashes the light, but that's the only way I can get it to flash.

With the Camera in Manual mode, pushing the flash button on the side only opens the internal flash on the camera, and taking pictures sets that off, or doesn't flash at all if it's closed, and the speedlite won't go off.

googlyeyedchicken

Prominent
Sep 15, 2017
When mounted can you trigger the flash with the receiver on the camera just to see if it goes off?

Are you sure it's a Nikon unit?

Have you tried turning on flash first and then turning on camera? The built in flash shouldn't pop up at all.

If none of those work you might have a faulty flash. It isn't uncommon.

Mar 31, 2018
I have the exact same problem. I have Nikon D3100, Neewer 750II speedlite andthe Neewer CT-16 flash trigger. Flash works fine directly mounted on camera. But when used off camera I cannot get it to fire and the internal flash keeps popping. Very irritating.