Nikon D5200 vs Canon 60D for filming?

Ross Carthy

Estimable
Nov 21, 2014
I am looking to film some comedy sketches and do a few short films and was looking to get a decent quality camera.

I was advised that a Canon 60D was a very good camera.

However I've seen a Nikon 5200 in a second hand shop. I'm wondering which would be the best.

Does anyone know which one would be better for filming?

Solution
Definitely the 60D. You want to get Magic Lantern on there, and it'll help you out when focusing and framing for 2.35:1 ratio.

The Nikons are a waste of money, because they don't have anything like Magic Lantern available. You don't have to buy the 60D though, you can go cheaper, such as the 600D, that's a good starting camera, I find the touch screen on the 650D to be more annoying than useful, so that would be my pick for getting started.

Despite 60D being more expensive, you won't be able to use Digital Zoom while filming, this is essential for focusing, but then again, there's Magic Lantern. Read the guide and know the risks if you decide to install Magic Lantern.

I have and used 600D, 650D, Nikon 5200, I use Canon 600D...
Definitely the 60D. You want to get Magic Lantern on there, and it'll help you out when focusing and framing for 2.35:1 ratio.

The Nikons are a waste of money, because they don't have anything like Magic Lantern available. You don't have to buy the 60D though, you can go cheaper, such as the 600D, that's a good starting camera, I find the touch screen on the 650D to be more annoying than useful, so that would be my pick for getting started.

Despite 60D being more expensive, you won't be able to use Digital Zoom while filming, this is essential for focusing, but then again, there's Magic Lantern. Read the guide and know the risks if you decide to install Magic Lantern.

I have and used 600D, 650D, Nikon 5200, I use Canon 600D everytime because of Magic Lantern, the better video quality of the 5200 doesn't bother me one bit, it's way harder to work with.

All the best!

Solution

jnturja

Estimable
Jan 15, 2016
I would suggest you to buy nikon d5300. The color is absolutely amazing in the nikon 5300. And the price is much less than the 60d. Although you can't use magic lantern but I'm assuring you that you won't regret as the D5300 is absolutely great. The only thing that bothers me is, I can't change the aperture in the live view mode. Except this fact, I guarantee you that you will be much more than satisfied. Get the D5300 and some glasses as you can save some bucks. And yes, read the reviews of every cameras and see the results in Dxomark.

Happy filming

RoyTaylor

Estimable
Jan 7, 2016
I'm currently use Nikon 5200 and it's a good camera. I used it in filming and picturing any events. So i would recommend you to use Nikon 5200. And the other guy says it heat up in 15min yeah it's true. But still a good camera.