Solved! Nikon D5300 Power Issue: Repair, Replace or Upgrade?

Thollupped

Honorable
Nov 10, 2013
I recently ran into an issue with my Nikon D5300, one of the internal boards is busted and no power is being delivered to the camera. I just got a repair quote back from a local shop and they're saying it'll be £260 to repair (no specifics on what board actually need changing)

Considering i can get another D5300 on ebay for that money, should i repair it, get another or just upgrade?

Solution
As with most consumer/prosumer electronics, it is often cheaper or more cost-effective to replace than repair. At half the price of a brand-new camera body with warranty for a repair with likely much shorter warranty and possible problems from the camera not getting put back together properly, I'd go with the new camera/camera body, especially if you were itching to upgrade anyway.

If you buy another of the same, then that opens the option of parts-swapping between the two cameras at a future time if your 2nd camera fails in a different way.

ikaz

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2005
Thats kinda up to you, if you take a lot pictures and have been thinking about upgrading then it could be good time to do it also if they do the repair do they is the part/labor how long do they cover replacement if the repaired part fails ?

InvalidError

Distinguished
As with most consumer/prosumer electronics, it is often cheaper or more cost-effective to replace than repair. At half the price of a brand-new camera body with warranty for a repair with likely much shorter warranty and possible problems from the camera not getting put back together properly, I'd go with the new camera/camera body, especially if you were itching to upgrade anyway.

If you buy another of the same, then that opens the option of parts-swapping between the two cameras at a future time if your 2nd camera fails in a different way.

Solution