Nintendo Announces 2DS for Playing 3DS Games in 2D

Status
Not open for further replies.

daxchunjae02

Honorable
Aug 11, 2013
What about a 1DS so that they can continue to milk these crappy products like the corporate shill that you are? I mean really.. =(

MajinCry

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
On the other side, I am curious to see how this will play for yon emulators. Might be possible to get a 2DS emulator if the hardware is similar enough to the DS (Much like Dolphin with the Gamecube and Wii)

RedJaron

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011
They already have a "2DS", it's a 3DS with the slider turned all the way down. The $40 difference is less impressive when you consider the cost of a case ( no folding, ) and less travel friendly size.

shikamaru31789

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
Wow, I like this. I haven't but a 3DS yet, so I'm going to get this instead. 3D gives me a headache, it's significantly cheaper than the 3DS, and I prefer the 1 piece design over the clamshell design, which looked quite flimsy at the hinges to me.

cozomel

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
And why does anybody still Nintendo? This a stupid idea, stop being cheap Nintendo and just drop the price of the 3DS to $129 and for goodness sake, add a second analog stick/pad

FFH

Honorable
Jan 27, 2013
This sounds like a sarcasm news article made by the onion. I don't care for the 3D graphics, and there might be better battery life. it's a shame that it device is too thick. I'd have to see it in person, but it sounds good on paper.

Kindredsouls

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
As mentioned in the article; this device is geared towards younger kids. One of the issues the 3DS, and the previous DS consoles had was the hinges. Kids have a higher tendency to be less gentle with the hinges and they break more often. Omitting the hinges is actually a feature to increase its durability in this case.

CDdude55

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2011
Very ugly design, though i understand it's purpose is supposed to be a cheaper 3DS that is geared towards kids (hence the cheaper price and no 3D).

Granted i'm sure most people will be stuggleing to keep up with the various SKUs out on the market, so i'm not sure if 2DS is nessicarly a good name.

tajisi

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2011
Annnnddd we see the beginning of the end for Nintendo.

DS could stand for dual screen. It could also stand for Door Stop.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
Some people cannot even use the 3D features due to nonfunctional stereoscopic vision. Some parents were concerned about eye strain, and some just aren't interested in having to play at the "right angle". Why would they want to turn the slider down and pay extra for a function on a device they will never once use? That part was a long time in coming. The hideous design however is another story. It's definitely true kids can break a folding DS pretty easily due to the hinges so this is great for parents, but it also doesn't look like this would fit in a pocket at all. What is the point of a handheld that won't fit in a pocket? Either way, this isn't for people who are fine with the current 3DS. It's to bring in more customers who don't already have one. Not a device refresh folks, nor is it likely they'll make many units..

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
I feel like this is a pretty smart move, as 3DS has huge market of small children, but the 3D -effect should not be used by them, and the hinges are weak. The lower price should also entice parents this holiday season.

kemtox

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
Step 1: Make both screens the same size
Step 2: Remove the spacing between them
Step 3: Enjoy your fully functionnal DS/Tablet hybrid. Watch movies, take notes, chat, etc. in full screen and play in dual screens

Status
Not open for further replies.