Nintendo CEO Says No E3 Press Conference This Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaedenV

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
After getting the Wii my wife and I really enjoyed the mini games that came with it, as well as Zelda, but that was about it as far as Wii titles went. I ended up buying and playing more game cube games on the wii than actual wii titles simply because they were more fun. But even with that I probably logged some 200 hours of game time in that first 2 years, and now I haven't touched it since then. I still use my old PS2 a few times a year as our DVD player, and to replay old RPGs from time to time, but if I have no interest in powering up the wii, then why would I even consider getting a wiiU?
Nintendo, a little word of advice: If your in house developers are having a hard time pushing out content for your platform, then imagine the pain of 3rd party companies! In the mean time they are going to be competing more directly with Sony who has a platform that will be easy to work with, and MS' console which is supposedly going to run win8 and have access to any app in the win8 store that has controller support. These other platforms are going to have tons of games available very quickly at launch while nintendo is just going to fall further and further behind.
All that said, Nintendo isn't exactly in trouble. They are a conservative company, and when it comes to down years they are very good about keeping expenses to a minimum in order to float them to their next big release. I am sure that their next gen console will be a huge success... it just may take a little time for them to get their act together.

shadowfamicom

Honorable
May 2, 2012
Yeah, as a big Nintendo supporter... I have no idea what they were thinking giving reusing the name "Wii". So many people I talked to, ranging from non techy friends to just people buying stuff in Gamestop or Best Buy, thought it was just an add on (didn't help that it looked like a Wii with rounded edges). Other people were looking at the 8gb and 32gb sizes and saying "Why so small!!?", and Nintendo did not do anything to promote that inside was a solid state drive or that a simple $60 500gb internal or external HDD from newegg could be added for more space. They really need to get their act together. I am bummed they are not doing their grand E3 press conference (I look forward to theirs the most followed by Sony and usually don't bother watching the MS one, just read the recap). But if it lets them convey their message better and not waste money/time/resources on some big event then I am all for it.

deadjon

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
Nintendo will be fine.
Pokemon X&Y will give 3DS Sales a boos like they've never seen before.
They won't be able to compete in the full size console market ever again, but the handheld market is all theirs.
I'm purchasing a 3DS XL for the sole purpose of playing X & Y, making those games an Upwards of £200 purchase, considering I probably won't use the 3DS for anything else.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
As a Nintendo fan I'm hoping that months from now I can look back and say, "that was a good, gutsy, smart move". But I fear that this is another episode in the continuing saga over the last several years of Nintendo making strange, ineffective, decisions. Again, they misjudged the market and did not release their console in a timely manner, didn't do a whole lot to promote and explain the new console, and have had a very painfully slow/broad release schedule of good games. I keep hearing people say, "but X game is coming out in the future", which is great... if I had a time machine to skip ahead to the future to play said game. I'd be willing to wait if they had better games already out. Now, rather than a directed approach to reintroducing the community to the system and its games, they've opted to go with a scatter-shot approach, presumably hoping people latch on to something. It seems more likely to appear like an unorganized mess. This is not the time they should be experimenting with an approach with so much downside, although I can see the argument that they need to try something new at this point.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
release the next super smash brothers and i will but it.. though can't guaruntee buying much more than the usual titles when i do. zelda, metroid, mario, and the usual nintendo suspects will eb purchased the problem with the wii was lal the shovelware that made it not worth the effort to buy off brand games as they often sucked. if they can avoid that with the wiiu then mroe power to em i might debat buying more games.. though again not bothering to buy it until smash brothers is released

herr terror

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013
It makes no sense that customer confusion would stunt Wii U sales, because it would not have sold any better if it was given an entirely new name.
Nintendo makes it their business strategy to pin all their hopes on their core fanbase. Their core fanbase knows exactly what the Wii U is and didn't want to buy it. Giving it a thorough re-branding isn't going to make random non-interested consumers buy one 'incidentally.' Iwata is looking in the wrong direction, which is how the company ended up wasting the biggest lead they ever gained in the Western market in the first place.

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
World would be a better place if we had Nintendo designing the control scheme, and Sony designing the internals.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
They must have their reasons, but I believe nintendo really needs this e3. they need to market it. and if they are not attending e3, it most likely means they have no important announcements to make, also meaning that they arent making other notable games other than pikmin and others already announced. Sony and microsofts announcements shouldnt overwhelm them, they have to show that they are competitive in the gaming industry, not just stand by and watch as their 2 biggest competitors make a show of how much better their consoles will be.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
They must have their reasons, but I believe nintendo really needs this e3. they need to market it. and if they are not attending e3, it most likely means they have no important announcements to make, also meaning that they arent making other notable games other than pikmin and others already announced. Sony and microsofts announcements shouldnt overwhelm them, they have to show that they are competitive in the gaming industry, not just stand by and watch as their 2 biggest competitors make a show of how much better their consoles will be.

zenmonk9003

Honorable
Aug 24, 2012
Nintendo should leave the console market and focus on the hand-held market because that is where they excel. Nintendo could make games for consoles like Sega does or they need to make a system that can keep up with the big boys (Sony and MS). I really don't think there is room for three consoles in the market and that is why Sega left.

cpatel1987

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
Although a fan of the console, I really despise the amount of games they had at launch. Its abysmal. Now I'm stuck waiting for better games to release.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
A lot of the negative press surrounding Nintendo focuses on the Wii U floundering and fairly ignores how 3DS is really becoming a powerful mover. There's a lot of solid 3DS titles now. That really isn't new though, the DS had a much better 3rd party line up than Wii as well. Point is, company isn't doing bad in general, although they aren't doing as well as they'd like either.
Nintendo believes that their core audience is already being reached through Nintendo Direct, so they can save a lot of money by not doing anything huge at E3. They may be right, but it's going to be awkward when they've got a small showing at a major event and meanwhile across the row Sony and MS will be doing the biggest showings they've had for a decade.
Wii U has gotten very little attention even during Direct presentations. Some speculate they're saving all the major announcements for E3. They could still make these announcements over Direct during/after E3 and have the same impact, but if they don't have some cards to play this holiday season to go against the new competition then the Wii U might be a sinking ship after all. MS and Sony are even going after the Wii U's selling points immediately this time around, with Sony copying the social functions and second screen capability and MS might be going after the TV control functions by allowing cable box/DVR functionality. They need something major. They need more than just "Wind Waker remake" and a few other interesting sounding titles "sometime in the future".
Well at least they're trying. At least the menus on Wii U don't take 20 seconds to load anymore.

cpatel1987

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
Although a fan of the console, I really despise the amount of games they had at launch. Its abysmal. Now I'm stuck waiting for better games to release.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
Sales have sucked so bad for our hardware, we've decided to just abandon speeches, as we have totally red faces. We know consoles are dying this year or next as phones/tablets take us out, so please understand we can't afford a big speech now.
Good luck Sony/MS...LOL. Shield, Ouya, Wikipad, Razer Edge, Steambox etc are all going to add to phones/tablets eating your lunch. Get ready for Vita like sales for your next consoles...ROFLMAO. Even if xmas just passes me by, console's platform death will put a smile on my face for eternity :) That will be like xmas forever.

theco0n

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012
Plain n Simple. Nintendo has nothing to show. When was the last time they released a new first party title Smash bros for the N64? All their games are remakes reason why I have no owned a Nintendo console since the N64. All the Wii owners I know don't even use their Nintendo console and have an average of 3-4 games.

theco0n

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012
Plain n Simple. Nintendo has nothing to show. When was the last time they released a new first party title, Smash Bros for the N64? All their games are remakes nothing new reason why I have not owned a Nintendo console since the N64. All the Wii owners I know only have an average of 3-4 games.

Status
Not open for further replies.