Nintendo Files Lawsuit Against Console Hacking Website

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fredrik Aldhagen

Honorable
Jul 16, 2013
Some of these do have legitimate uses, The DSTWO with its extra CPU can play videos and run emulators, of course you could do the same thing with even a fairly low grade Android tablet... That 3DS card is clearly just for piracy though.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
It hurts - trust me, it does - to be unable to afford games. It is always tempting to get something for nothing. There are a lot of companies out there that sell you a hill of beans, rip you off, overcharge for utter garbage... but I will continue to say that pirating other's work-product is wrong, wrong, wrong. Whatever bad crap you may think they've done, however, bad a company is behind the thing you're after, no matter how much you may think they're overcharging, it's their right to charge whatever they want, and your only right is to choose whether or not to buy it. If you don't want to pay for it, you don't get to use it. It should be that simple.

madjimms

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
First step- go to piratebay
Second step- determine if its a good game
Third step, buy game if good, delete game if bad.

You can call me a thief all you want, but in the end I DUPLICATED data, not "removed" data from someone else.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
^still sounds like a thief.

how about this. buy the game, determine if its good, keep it if you like it, return it if you dont. is that too hard?

rwinches

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
A lower price seems to be indicated.

It must be considered that a lot of the games would never be sold as they cannot be afforded, so in that case the revenue is not actually lost.

Real data about what is the makeup of the downloaders. If the copy could not be downloaded or otherwise obtained, then a copy could be borrowed. If the game is download only or on your friends device then you could go to their house or swap devices or whatever. Don't they rent games? How much do they get from that?
If it's less profit and they are happy with that arrangement then it suggests they could do well by charging less.
The point is no additional revenue would be realized in that case.

This was no different with movies or music initially, drm and redbox per song purchase does change things, but the idea that stopping all copying would cause a huge revenue spike is not necessarily true. People would just borrow a friends copy, make a mixtape or listen to the radio or wait for it to be on TV.

What is the demographic make up worldwide how much can or are willing to spend on gaming? Android/ifruit games are cheap and getting better every day.
All these CEO finance guys want to maintain the status quo, but the 'game' changes and evolves. How many times has the Angry Birds series been downloaded free or paid? True they can be sideloaded, but still I am sure money was made.

itchyisvegeta

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
It's very simple. Emulation is legal. Roms are not (unless authorized or you make a back up copy for yourself). If you sell roms, you are screwed. If you sell something legit that is used for emulation or can be used for copying roms, you can be sued over and over and over again, til you go bankrupt (even if you win every time). IE, Sony vs Bleem!

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
As someone who pirated quite a lot for the last generation, I have gone back to buying games. There is little satisfaction in beating something you stole. It devalues the experience in your own mind. If you pay a lot for something, you consider it valuable. If you get something for free it's disposable. I had some really awful games as a kid, some of AVGN's top episodes give me nostalgia. But I still played them because they were all I had. Despite the fact consumers seem to think the video game industry is a bunch of fat cats that drink out of golden goblets, the industry is suffering more than ever. If people continue to pirate you may not have games, good or bad, to play. We've seen enough studios closing this year. Demos are becoming far more common than they ever were and Gamefly is a great service for console gaming to legitly rent titles. What excuse do you have to pirate anymore? If you can't afford 15 a month for GF then you shouldn't have bought a system worth several hundred.

teknomedic

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2007
@ 6bustapr "how about this. buy the game, determine if its good, keep it if you like it, return it if you dont. is that too hard?"

You do realize that once you open the game you're not allowed to return it right?... your best option is getting a crap trade in value at Gamestop after opening.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
if they are not distributing or sellign roms themselves and only making it possible to use roms then i don't see a problem with it. I would also fear legal ramifications of such a legal victory. suddenly selling mod parts being illegal or modifying a console/pc illegal. dell sold you a computer with a specific graphics card and a ta price point then you put in a faster one should that be illegal, or adding extra cooling to a system to overclock it above factory settings, should that be illegal as well? I buy my games, but have no problems modding consoles to have added functionality like my old xbox origional installed linux and put a mac gui on it just so i could press a button on a m$ console and boot to a mac os (not that i used it much , and still msotly used it to play legally purchased games)

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
I actually like the R4 because you can store all your games in one spot and not have to do the cartridge shuffle. The only reason I got into the R4 was to replace my copy of Radiant Historia a few months ago that my kid lost. When I went to buy another copy, it was priced at $70 because of scarcity at the time. This was freaking ridiculous.

Nintendo really should embrace digital distribution (like Steam and Sony and MS do) and let you store all your purchases on a 32G SD.

When you have more than 1 kid, the stupid cartridges have you locked down to 1 save file on the cartridge. So that means you have to purchase separate copies of the same Pokemon game so they don't fight over it. As an added bonus, they get separate save files now.

tira sheen

Honorable
Aug 10, 2013
Some times company's over react to much.. R4 for DS was out for years when put out a lawsuit for them, never got them cleared, Nintendo just kept updating thinking that would work. The R4 kept matching updates. Nintendo still made new games and new profits life went on Nintendo calmed downed. They should give up on the wii and DS lawsuits they won't win, these systems are old, the wii is rumored to lose Internet services and its so old everyone already has and knows how to hack the thing, I had my wii hacked though it was the oldest wii known and the wii was easy and I was having fun before I sold it got some new features i didnt know of reading dvds etc. Same with the DS mine had a r4 the last few months it had left to live it was old i wanted to see what r4 devices did and i had fun with what it could do, My device died happy lol. I had that DS since it was first released the phat plain silver ds same with phat gamecube white wii they were old and they are not supported any more I have nether anymore. I never new what a r4 was and when my ds started having issues that was the time i was introduced to one. Nintendo needs to move on and just protect the 3ds there wasting valuable time protecting 2 old systems which have had all hack info out in the world for more then 2 years. So you know how easy it is to hack a wii no software needed so one friend can do it to another's system easily. R4 devices are all over the place, so what, they're gonna track down all sellers on eBay amazon etc no i doubt that. this is a joke there wasting there time it's stupid... Go protect the 3ds it's new and needs the protection so it has a long life then the old systems that have no new games coming out and no life left in them.

Status
Not open for further replies.