Nintendo: 'Jaws Will Drop' With Next Console

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zaam

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2009
I have no doubt in my mind that Nintendo will innovate again with their new console. Their track record is solid. They were the first ones to introduce analog controls, then everyone scrambled to add that feature. Then force feedback with rumble packs, then everyone scrambled to add that too, and they were the first with touch screen and motion controls. Today, analog sticks and force feedback are practically mandatory for games.

It seems like some people here think the only way to "innovate" is to just have better graphics. Sorry but, there are tons of games out today that are just that, all graphics and no gameplay. Sure, pretty graphics are nice, but that is always secondary to excellent gameplay.

G

I think Nintendo will deliver on this. Looking at what they're doing with the 3DS and how they are focusing back on hardcore gamers. That's a good sign. The Wii did what they needed it to do, that is to make them profit, so they can create something great while surviving with the heavy weights, Microsoft and Sony.

reprotected

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
What Nintendo will tell us:

1. They are the ones to reveal Valve's 3 big surprises
2. Our jaws will literally drop
3. That it will beat Kinect

RisnDevil

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
My Wii sees more play than almost everything else in my house, with the only (possible) exception being my Nintendo DSi. There are no good (non 1st party) games for the Wii...?!?! Are you kidding? Have you looked?

Monster Hunter Tri, is fun, and epic in feel and scope.

No More Heroes (and No More Heroes 2) are both MATURE and outrageously entertaining pieces.

Muramasa: The Demon Blade is a GORGEOUS side-scrolling platformer, appealing to both old-school and newer gamers.

Super Monkey Ball: Step and Roll is a treat to play on the Wii.

ANY arcade-style shooter is fun to play and easy to step into thanks to the ease of use of the controller.

And obviously, this says nothing of the 1st party offerings, which I only didn't mention because there is never any argument that they are good...which is another thing. Instead of dogging on Nintendo since only their games seem to be great games or sell so well, why not dog on everyone else who is releasing (in your opinion/eyes) a bunch of crap?

Plus, there are ports of easily missed older games (mostly looking at you, assorted PS2 ports/upgrades) and loads of great WiiWare. Not just good, but great WiiWare. If you need some recommendations, just ask, I'd be happy to oblige.

Now onto the actual topic at hand...

No, we won't see a 3D console from Nintendo (though Microsoft and Sony will probably tout it as a feature THAT NO ONE WILL USE UNTIL THE CONSOLES HAVE BEEN OUT FOR 3-5 YEARS). I expect it to be an upgrade not reinvention as well. Probably have (way) less games that use motion controls but still support the Wii ones, and as such will probably use a standard controller for most games and just keep the Wii's motion controls.

orionantares

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
[citation][nom]mrmoo500[/nom]Didn't nintendo though already say that the next console will not be HD? I am pretty sure they did...[/citation]

They said their next console would not be a Wii HD, not that their next console would not be HD.

The reason the Wii wasn't made HD was because HD hardware costed a LOT at the time and most people didn't have HD TVs at the time of release. It made the console much more affordable compared to it's competitors being literally half the price and provided a unique style of game-play that hadn't been available in a home system at that point.

G

To make my jaw drop, a full virtual reality system with Kinect type control. The tech is already there, just integrate the components.

senlis

Distinguished
May 3, 2010
[citation][nom]AlexTheBlue[/nom]There are multiple approaches to backwards compatibility. Sony's approach with the original PS2 was nothing like Nintendo's approach. Yes, they had PS1 hardware in there, but not JUST PS1 hardware. They *also* crammed in a new and completely different architecture for the PS2 side of things.While I was not really a big fan of the PS2's architecture (in particular the GPU side of things), at least they didn't let backwards compatibility hold back their performance. I love the idea of BC - but if you're using it as a crutch, and it cripples the performance of your resulting product, you've taken BC too far.Besides, they're just gonna put the games on their online market and sell them to you all over again in a few years.[/citation]

What are you talking about? Are you saying that the Wii is simply a GC with motion controls, because the Wii is about 3 times as powerful as the GC was (the GC being about as powerful as an XBOX).

G

I have 2 WII's (only payed for one of them) and they are both broken. The disc insertion mechanism broke so it wont keep a disc inside, it just spits them back out with a horrible sound. And who decide to use those special screws on it so I cant take it apart easily. No more nintendo for me. I'll stick to PCs that I've built myself tyvm.

senlis

Distinguished
May 3, 2010
[citation][nom]Haserath[/nom]The only interesting games for the Wii were first party games...it is really sad that they can't get one good developer for a third party game to make a great game for the Wii.If their next gen console actually gets good third party support, then it could be a great console.[/citation]

What about the third party company that made
Metroid Prime: Corruption
Trauma Center
Red Steel 2

Off the top of my head.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Nintendo and will announce that they will have Steam support.
Impossible?
OK Steam now support OSX and Linux and there is even Steamplay where you buy the game once and it works on any platform, so exactly how difficult would it be to make games on Steam work with a new Nintendo console.
Not very, a few hardware minimum requirements, a large hard drive and all of Nintendo's catalogue available as Direct Download via Steam also.

fayzaan

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
[citation][nom]senlis[/nom]What are you talking about? Are you saying that the Wii is simply a GC with motion controls, because the Wii is about 3 times as powerful as the GC was (the GC being about as powerful as an XBOX).[/citation]

uhmm GC wasn't as powerful as an XBOX...lol! go back to your nintendo island!

nexus9113

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010
I still don't get how people are considering the Wii system a failure. Isn't the success of a product based on the profit made off of it in comparison to competing products? Or have the laws of business that have always existed not apply to the software entertainment industry, or have changed somehow overnight?

Just because there is a select group of "hardcore snobs" who say the Wii is a failure because it doesn't appeal to them, consider this: with Nintendo's strategy of capturing the untapped market of the "casual gamer" and converting non gamers with a way to control games that is familiar to those who have never played (because everyone knows how to use a remote, and what can be easier than pointing?) they have managed to overtake the market after a rather lackluster 6th generation performance. It's also a testament to business success when the competitor is now copying the same business plan. Why? Because its a good business strategy to widen your client base. And like a previous poster said, Microsoft and Sony have been hurting with the costs they've endured with expensive and faulty hardware, to the point to where both have removed functionality or features that originally came with the systems. Nintendo hasn't had to do that at all. Why? Because it wasn't playing in the "one-up" war Microsoft and Sony were. Nintendo has stated that it considers neither of those two competitors because they have chosen to go a seperate direction in development from those two.

And everyone loves to compare visual fidelity. Between the 360 and PS3 in realtime, side by side comparisons, for most games there is no difference, because both sets of hardware have different bottlenecks which actually bring them both down to the same basic real life performance levels. And besides, we have actually reached a ceiling of visual fidelity in the market that we are not really able to break past. Poly counts have plateued, because at the current level adding more doesn't give anymore visual improvement that's worth the cost in performance. Texturing has become the new trick in establishing greater fidelity, and that's most reliant on the available memory a system has to keep large textures flowing smoothly. And the whole 1080p BS people keep touting, look around the internet, there are plenty of sites that tell you that the vast majority of games on those two consoles do not display at true 1080p, if anything its usually process at 720p, or some custom resolution within a 100 pixels either way, that is upscaled to 1080p. Tekken 6 is a great case for that, as you can actually change the resolution of the game based on turning certain visual features on and off (it doesn't advertise it's doing this of course). And most games for the consoles are complete crap, cloned FPS's of the same angsty character, with the same grudge, against the same oppressive government/alien army/random monsters, those games have become as predictable as EVERY CSI/Law and Order show and knockoff.

[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Nintendo and will announce that they will have Steam support.Impossible?OK Steam now support OSX and Linux and there is even Steamplay where you buy the game once and it works on any platform, so exactly how difficult would it be to make games on Steam work with a new Nintendo console.Not very, a few hardware minimum requirements, a large hard drive and all of Nintendo's catalogue available as Direct Download via Steam also.[/citation]
Steam is only supported on OSX and Windows. And the OSX is pitiful, small library of games and a buggy interface. There will not be a Linux version, Valve just recently confirmed that. So the only way to get Steam on Linux is through a program like Wine. And PS3 is the only console to get Steam service in the forseeable future.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]nexus9113[/nom]Steam is only supported on OSX and Windows. And the OSX is pitiful, small library of games and a buggy interface. There will not be a Linux version, Valve just recently confirmed that. So the only way to get Steam on Linux is through a program like Wine. And PS3 is the only console to get Steam service in the forseeable future.[/citation]
In the first year Steam was available there were only 7 games available.
Now there are over 2500.
It's the first year of OSX support, give it time.
Who can say what will happen in the time from now until the release of the next Nintendo system?
If the hardware is up to it and Nintendo agree for their titles to be distributed that way it could be a match made in heaven.

kamen

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2010
Keeping costs down for their next console should be the top priority. A $299 price point should be the max for their new console. Also, I don't see why console makers keep making the same mistake of developing custom hardware platforms for their devices. Nintendo should save money by building a console with good off the shelf hardware that is already available or soon to be available. Sony and Microsoft would be in serious damage control mode if Nintendo had the Wii 2 ready for Christmas 2010 and it had inexspensive off the shelf hardware such as a 4 core Athlon II and Radeon HD 5770 graphics at the $299 price point.
Also, Nintendo needs to go to a 4 year release strategy with 2 additional years of game support. Waiting for 6 years between consoles is far to long as the hardware in them is pathetically behind the times after only a few years.

Prey

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2006
It would be really nice to see some HD in there. 3D eh, for some reason I don't see that really big so huge at least not for a while, if they do, they're going to try and shove the 3D in your face like a lot of movies. I would like to see Nintendo ramp up it's hardware, could you imagine how cool Samus or Link would look HiDef!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.