Nintendo: 'Jaws Will Drop' With Next Console

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

N.Broekhuijsen

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
Im a PC gamer, and no console has ever made my "Jaw Drop". Sure, they may have impressed me at times, but never anything close to Jaw Dropping.

The only thing that amazes me about the Wii is how people just keep buying them. I've played on one for a couple of days (Stuck at aunt's house; not my fault), and after about 5-10 minutes I just got so bored of it.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I personally consider the Wii to be a flop (despite sales figures). I'd like to see the average number of games purchased for each console. I'd also like to see how many people are still playing each console 1+ years after purchase. I'm willing to bet that the Wii loses on both counts. The games are just not very entertaining once you get past the initial 'wow motion controllers are neat'. Maybe in the future motion controlled games will be good, but for the moment and the foreseeable future, they are not.

wishmaster12

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
Im sick of sandbox games stupid console gamers. their like 40 acting like 3 year olds. that how old most of them are i laugh at them every day. AMD 4 life!

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]maloney[/nom]Not a fan of backwards compatibility? Lots of people actually liked playing previous PS1 generation games on the PS2. Why buy a new controller if the gamecube controller was compatible when needed?[/citation]There are multiple approaches to backwards compatibility. Sony's approach with the original PS2 was nothing like Nintendo's approach. Yes, they had PS1 hardware in there, but not JUST PS1 hardware. They *also* crammed in a new and completely different architecture for the PS2 side of things.

While I was not really a big fan of the PS2's architecture (in particular the GPU side of things), at least they didn't let backwards compatibility hold back their performance. I love the idea of BC - but if you're using it as a crutch, and it cripples the performance of your resulting product, you've taken BC too far.

Besides, they're just gonna put the games on their online market and sell them to you all over again in a few years.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]wishmaster12[/nom]Im sick of sandbox games stupid console gamers. their like 40 acting like 3 year olds. that how old most of them are i laugh at them every day. AMD 4 life![/citation]
You give AMD fans a bad name. :(

Haserath

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
The only interesting games for the Wii were first party games...it is really sad that they can't get one good developer for a third party game to make a great game for the Wii.

If their next gen console actually gets good third party support, then it could be a great console.

G

Calling the ps3 and the xbox hardcore is kind of insulting to the pc crowd, I own all 3 (360,ps3,pc) and have had to deal with dumbed down games and sequels and achievemen rich gameplay derived excuses for a videogame for the last 5 years.

Anyways, knowing nintendo and their 'sorry , normal gamers arent our target audience anymore', they 'll either ducttape 2 wiis together and come up with the 'wiilan' allow you to play with 4 people on 1 console and connect two tvs to it in a revolutionary way.

That, or they'll backpeddal so hard from their previous statements that the wallpaper around them melts.

As a previous poster said, unless it has a proper 500GB (it has to last remember, current game installs are upto 15 GB big on pc) HDD by default, a proper controller, built in wifi and a proper amount of ram and vram so we can all stop looking at brown n bloom sub 720 p games it's not even going to get a single glance of attention from me.

descendency

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
"Didn't nintendo though already say that the next console will not be HD? I am pretty sure they did..."

That's 3D. They won't be going to 3D.

They really can't get much faster than the Wii without going "HD" (even if the xbox 360 and PS3 only fake HD on 90% of games by scaling).

adamboy64

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
Not be too quick at rushing out your new console, Ninty.
There's still many more sales to be had with the Wii.
Makes me wonder what they will do with the new console, improved visuals would be nice, I guess.

I expect their next console will be more of an evolution of the Wii, rather than a 'revolution'.

dsmjrv

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
i have the wii and i play it far more than my little bros ps3. however i have a PC and i play that far more than everything else put together.

if i want a fun game to play with friends and family the Wii does it. and if i want to play "hardcore gamer" games i got to my PC.

the PS3 and Xbox are not hardcore and are not very fun for girls and other people who don't know a lot about video games. i feel like the high end consoles are for people who are "gamers" but are ignorant to everything tech related. because the PS3 is seriously obsolete and has been for a while.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
[citation][nom]ksharp[/nom]"We have never done what others have...."And there is your problem in the new generation. As an owner of both the PS3 and Xbox 360 there are things I consider non-negotiable when purchasing a new system.1.) Internal HDD of decent capacity2.) Internal Wi-Fi access (I have the Xbox slim to clarify)3.) GPU processor and RAM that can more or less kick out next gen look and feel with HD 1080 resolutionI never bought a Wii and dont plan to. Unless the next Nintendo has something like the above specs, I wont buy into whatver they claim will "drop my jaw"[/citation]

So, you want an overpriced, underpowered and non-upgradable computer....sounds like Sony took their lead from Apple....

aethm

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
Most likely it will just be a WII with HD graphics and probably 3D capable. Although... it would be pretty could to have something radical like a headset display.

tpi2007

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
Let's not underestimate Nintendo here; they're the only ones left from the 80's; Sega is gone, Atari is gone, Neo Geo, Spectrum, Amiga, etc; none made it.

And yet with the Wii Nintendo launched a well priced console that didn't cost the earth, didn't have hard to make hardware that kept crashing (RROD) or making losses years on end (PS3), and relied on what makes a good gaming machine: innovative and entertaining games.

Sure, the hype was all around the Wii Sports and lately Wii Fit and little more, and had it's time - although to their credit they were able to sustain it for longer than I thought possible.

Now consider this: with the cash pile Nintendo got from the Wii, compared to the initially RROD Xbox360 and all the millions MS had to spend to repair them, and the money Sony lost on each PS3 until very recently, Nintendo could break the cycle and leave Sony and MS in the dust - literally. Why ? Because MS and Sony are just now copying Nintendo's control system and still relying on their respective consoles to last a few more years as they are to recover the losses they incurred with what I said above. Nintendo can lauch a brnad new console next year, with a much faster processor than the PS3 and superb HD graphics along with their jaw dropping feature.

If this happens, MS and Sony will be like Nvidia right now: trying to catch up with AMD!

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
Protip: Nothing was said about graphics
Nintendo isn't going to suddenly change it's stance and try to awe people with graphics, they don't care. If you care about graphics, give up console gaming and go to PC, console graphics will never beat a PC. PS3 and Xbox don't beat PC either. 1080p? You can count the number of XBox and PS3 games that are made for 1080p on your hands.

Nintendo is no doubt planning to surprise people with another innovative way to approach gaming, like they've done in the past with a dual screen handheld or a motion sensing controller. Whether or not you actually like these gimmicks is up to you, but plenty of people do enjoy them, and Microsoft and Sony are clearly rushing to copy them. Personally I'm hoping for a full DLC business plan.

gto127

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
Last console go round Nintendo was hurting from the gamecube sales but got very lucky that everyone liked the inexpensive to make wii so well. Now they are almost twice the size of Sony so they can finally afford to spend some money on hardware. Lets hope it's great system.

Status
Not open for further replies.