Nintendo Looking to Merge Handheld and Console Development

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkSable

Honorable
Sep 27, 2012
Meh. They've been trying to do this (Monster Hunter 3, anybody?), but it's not going to be sucessful this generation. Handhelds need a huge increase in power before you could look at a portable gaming system and a console playing the same game and think that the handheld comes close to comparing.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
They desperately need to either:

A) Offer games as apps on iOS & Android
or
B) Partner with Samsung and make a Galaxy-Nintendo phone, that has exclusive Nintendo apps

One thing iOS & Android did was kill Sony and Nintendo's handheld devices. If they want to marry console with handheld it must be console with smartphone.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
They desperately need to either:

A) Offer games as apps on iOS & Android
or
B) Partner with Samsung and make a Galaxy-Nintendo phone, that has exclusive Nintendo apps

One thing iOS & Android did was kill Sony and Nintendo's handheld devices. If they want to marry console with handheld it must be console with smartphone.
Sony tried option B with a hybrid smartphone/PS Vita-like device. Didn't work out so well. But I'll agree need to branch out their 1st party titles into the mobile smartphone market.

Personally, I feel no need to buy a mobile gaming device anymore with the widespread use of tablets and smartphones. Nor do I want a mobile-like device to play games at home... part of the reason why I have almost zero interest in the Wii U.

BUT, if Nintendo wants to make it seamless for developers between a mobile device and a console, then more power to them. I could tremendously cut down development costs.

airborne11b

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008
So is this Nintendo acknowledging that the WiiU is of comparable power to new handhelds?
No, it's saying that the Wii U has the best games outside of the PC world, and wants to put them on as many Nintendo devices as possible to maximize their win.

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
While mobile gaming might be affecting handheld -gaming device sales, there is really no comparing the experience. Touch screen controls just generally suck for gaming, as evidenced by most of the successful games on mobile platforms which are better defined as "time wasters" than gaming experiences.

Status
Not open for further replies.