Nintendo Patent Shows Touchscreen Add-On for Wiimote

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheViper

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
Has to be more to this than what is being reported here.

The IR camera inside the front of the Wii remote reads infrared data. A finger touching a screen would not be interpreted as infrared by the camera. An IR tipped pen perhaps?

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
[citation][nom]rosen380[/nom]You have a 50" touchscreen TV??[/citation]

Oh, so the touch part is what's innovative? My point was that you will staring at this lame controller probably as much as your TV.

sardonicjester

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011
[citation][nom]beardguy[/nom]Oh, so the touch part is what's innovative? My point was that you will staring at this lame controller probably as much as your TV.[/citation]

Agreed. Why bother having a nice tv if you are going to be playing half the game on a gameboy sized screen. "Ooooo it's touchscreen though"- who cares if it is touch screen, it is still removing your attention from your nice tv to a tiny little screen.

Also, how much extra weight will this add to the remotes? They have now graduated from a tv remote to a hammer........seems safe.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]beardguy[/nom]Oh, so the touch part is what's innovative? My point was that you will staring at this lame controller probably as much as your TV.[/citation]

yet you cant think of a way it would be usefull?

lets go this way, you know those radar things in fps that show you where people are?
how about takine health and ammo off the screen and onto the controler,
or hell, even moveing the mini map there.

depending on how good the screen is, it may be high enough resolution to play a bit of the game on it, im thinking like in splinter cell, where you have the fiber optic cable.

there are legitimate uses that can add to a game.
you dont want to look at health, stop getting shot
you dont want to look at ammo, than learn to take proper inventory of what you have
you want the radar on screen, that's a personal preference, i would rather have it off screen.

sardonicjester

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]yet you cant think of a way it would be usefull?lets go this way, you know those radar things in fps that show you where people are?how about takine health and ammo off the screen and onto the controler, or hell, even moveing the mini map there. depending on how good the screen is, it may be high enough resolution to play a bit of the game on it, im thinking like in splinter cell, where you have the fiber optic cable.there are legitimate uses that can add to a game. you dont want to look at health, stop getting shotyou dont want to look at ammo, than learn to take proper inventory of what you haveyou want the radar on screen, that's a personal preference, i would rather have it off screen.[/citation]

So what you are saying is: that it would make more sense to have look down, away from the action, to see these things like the map, ammo, etc? How do you see this as being beneficial in any way?

It would be pointless for any game that is real time and not turn based. The second you look down, you are looking away from the real screen, and will possibly miss the guy jumping out and shooting you in the face.

When this information is on the main screen, you can still be watching the action. (it only takes a quick glance and you can still see what is going on). If you used these little screens on the controller, you would have to look completely away from the screen.

IMO it would be about as beneficial as walking head down into a firefight.

TitusFFX

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
Wii microscope would make more sense for being that bulky but for normal use that is just a waste of space and design... would rather have it rebuilt from the ground up and just make it a little longer and wider if needed for status updates like the G15 keyboards.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]sardonicjester[/nom]So what you are saying is: that it would make more sense to have look down, away from the action, to see these things like the map, ammo, etc? How do you see this as being beneficial in any way?It would be pointless for any game that is real time and not turn based. The second you look down, you are looking away from the real screen, and will possibly miss the guy jumping out and shooting you in the face. When this information is on the main screen, you can still be watching the action. (it only takes a quick glance and you can still see what is going on). If you used these little screens on the controller, you would have to look completely away from the screen. IMO it would be about as beneficial as walking head down into a firefight.[/citation]

well lets look at it this way, take a gun game, do real weapons have a digital counter on how much ammo is left, havent looked into military tech in a while.

is there a counter that shows how many grenades you have left, or you have to either look down, or keep track in your head.

i know there are some things that can track people, or at least help in locating their position, but useing that completely takes focus off of the enviorment around you.

now lets talk a what if, what if it had an immaculate screen, at about the iris level, i mean, small amoleds are fairly cheap, and can be extremely high resolution, lets say they got even close to 800x600, add a small scope peripheral to the screen, and you have a home version of silent scope going, and not just in that case, you can use 2 eyes, one on the scope zoomed in, and one on the screen zoomed out, i could potentially see sniping games going to a whole new level.

now, lets also talk dead space, people LOVED that game for the use of taking everything off the screen, no hud at all.

telling me taking info off the main screen is a bad idea is stupid, because people like the "hardcore" modes to games, they like the difficulty presented in demon/dark souls. you can not tell me you cant see any use in this at all, especialy after i just went with those examples.

xerroz

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
Put a cursor and you can still look at the Tv the whole time. Easy solution

sardonicjester

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]well lets look at it this way, take a gun game, do real weapons have a digital counter on how much ammo is left, havent looked into military tech in a while.is there a counter that shows how many grenades you have left, or you have to either look down, or keep track in your head. i know there are some things that can track people, or at least help in locating their position, but useing that completely takes focus off of the enviorment around you. now lets talk a what if, what if it had an immaculate screen, at about the iris level, i mean, small amoleds are fairly cheap, and can be extremely high resolution, lets say they got even close to 800x600, add a small scope peripheral to the screen, and you have a home version of silent scope going, and not just in that case, you can use 2 eyes, one on the scope zoomed in, and one on the screen zoomed out, i could potentially see sniping games going to a whole new level.now, lets also talk dead space, people LOVED that game for the use of taking everything off the screen, no hud at all. telling me taking info off the main screen is a bad idea is stupid, because people like the "hardcore" modes to games, they like the difficulty presented in demon/dark souls. you can not tell me you cant see any use in this at all, especialy after i just went with those examples.[/citation]
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]well lets look at it this way, take a gun game, do real weapons have a digital counter on how much ammo is left, havent looked into military tech in a while.is there a counter that shows how many grenades you have left, or you have to either look down, or keep track in your head. i know there are some things that can track people, or at least help in locating their position, but useing that completely takes focus off of the enviorment around you. now lets talk a what if, what if it had an immaculate screen, at about the iris level, i mean, small amoleds are fairly cheap, and can be extremely high resolution, lets say they got even close to 800x600, add a small scope peripheral to the screen, and you have a home version of silent scope going, and not just in that case, you can use 2 eyes, one on the scope zoomed in, and one on the screen zoomed out, i could potentially see sniping games going to a whole new level.now, lets also talk dead space, people LOVED that game for the use of taking everything off the screen, no hud at all. telling me taking info off the main screen is a bad idea is stupid, because people like the "hardcore" modes to games, they like the difficulty presented in demon/dark souls. you can not tell me you cant see any use in this at all, especialy after i just went with those examples.[/citation]

I understand what you are getting at, and I do agree, somewhat.

The idea is cool (the sniper scope thing would be awesome), I just can't see adding screens to the remote as a good move for "faster" paced games.

I like games without a HUD, but even then, your attention is fully on the main screen. I know if I played a gun game with no HUD, but had the controller with the screen, I'd still only look at the main screen.

It is not that the screen would add any "difficulty" to a game, it would just add a distraction. (When playing gun games)

For slower paced games I could see the use (sniping game, rts, rpg, etc). But for faster, more aggressive type games (COD, any other run and gun games) it would be a nuisance. IMO. To each their own though.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]sardonicjester[/nom]I understand what you are getting at, and I do agree, somewhat. The idea is cool (the sniper scope thing would be awesome), I just can't see adding screens to the remote as a good move for "faster" paced games. I like games without a HUD, but even then, your attention is fully on the main screen. I know if I played a gun game with no HUD, but had the controller with the screen, I'd still only look at the main screen. It is not that the screen would add any "difficulty" to a game, it would just add a distraction. (When playing gun games)For slower paced games I could see the use (sniping game, rts, rpg, etc). But for faster, more aggressive type games (COD, any other run and gun games) it would be a nuisance. IMO. To each their own though.[/citation]

i would have to say that in cod, it would add more skill to the game.

take this as a mode
take the stats off the main screen, and add them into the touch kind of. if you look at the touch while playing the game, its a person tracker, if you take the wii mote away from the screen it shows you ammo in the gun as though you are taking it out, quickly moving the controller away and back would reload.

this would make people focus on how much ammo they spent, and if they don't, they have to look down, it also forces people to listen to the game, for footsteps, and if they don't want to, look away at the remote.

i already have allot of hope on the pad idea, where you stick it on the end of a gun thing (cant spell the word i want), and its iron sights, or a scope while the screen doesn't change. though i think this smaller one has a better chance to possibly succeed in my hopes.

Status
Not open for further replies.