Nintendo Reveals Wii U Pro Controller, Final Wii U Design

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ikefu

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
Taking the tablet controller to my bedroom at night to be able to play a console quality game sans TV appeals to me. I can also see how a tablet controller could make some games like Diablo 3 or other inventory/menu intensive games a lot nicer to play on a console.

That being said, I'm very glad to see Nintendo decided to make a more standard controller to go along with the Wii U as well. Now if only they'd get a decently Spec'd CPU/GPU inside there I think they'd have something.

ikyung

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
[citation][nom]xerroz[/nom]I like the controller. Hopefully this time around we see more hardcore games or at the very least sequels to games like Star Fox 64, DK 64, a new F-Zero, etc. I REALLY would like to see a game like DK 64[/citation]
Agreed. I haven't bought a console since N64, but I have very good memories of playing games like SSB, Star Fox and 007 on my N64 with my buddies. The best was having sleepovers on Saturday nights eating microwavable snacks and playing SSB 2v2!

mazty

Distinguished
May 22, 2011
The controller is ridiculous. It's gone for the xbox shape but messed around with button location; it looks very uncomfortable.
As for the tablet, well SmartGlass and the plethora of tablets/smartphones out there will make it look cheap and feel cumbersome.

This is the price you pay for having a cheap victory with a finite market of casual gamers; you lose the chance of repeat custom. Rookie mistake.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
[citation][nom]slabbo[/nom]they aren't forcing you to buy the normal looking controller. If you look closely, the tablet controller has the same buttons as the tabletless controller. it's just an option for a more traditional feeling controller for games that don't use the tablet. You can also use the tablet controller for these same games.[/citation]

I think his point was that some people would rather not have to pay for the extra tablet they don't want when buying the system. I do realize this isn't how Nintendo's marketing works, but I wouldn't complain about a system that didn't come bundled with controllers at my expense. Realistically though, who doesn't have an extra controller around? This system will still likely price lower than the new ps4/720 with several extra controllers.

Real question is, "pro" controller, is it wireless? Looks like it. Hope the receiver is built in.

[citation][nom]xerroz[/nom]I like the controller. Hopefully this time around we see more hardcore games or at the very least sequels to games like Star Fox 64, DK 64, a new F-Zero, etc. I REALLY would like to see a game like DK 64[/citation]

Most of those games were Rare games. Unfortunately, we won't be seeing any Rare games from Nintendo anymore. They need some new dev teams that can make games like that.

[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]have you even seen what an SNES controller looked like? maybe you should spend some time on wikipedia[/citation]

You clearly don't get it. Nintendo created the modern controller design of movement stick on the left, start in the middle, and trigger buttons on the right. They were the start point for modern controller design. The same basic layout is used today.

On a non controller note, that "Miiverse" thing starting up is absolute genius from a marketing standpoint. "Look what everyone around the world is playing, don't you want to play what everyone else is?" They really missed an opportunity there not going with direct download games. Could you imagine the impulse buying that would occur if you saw people gathering around a popular game from the comfort of your home? This could also help sell less well known games.

I also happened to catch a little something around 22:00. Post screenshots of gameplay, that's nice. Post user content...what? What kind of user content are we talking about here? User created maps and skins?

Status
Not open for further replies.