Nintendo Unveils Wii U Controller, new 3DS Titles

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gto127

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
if it's backward compatible with wii then how am I going to play tennis with this big controller? I just can't see swinging this like a wii mote.

crispyknight78

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2011
Looks like a Wii and a DS got a little too friendly and had a love child. How will motion sensitive stuff work? You try to swing that like a wii mote, and you'll make more broken electronics than you can shake a stick at.

tacoslave

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
suweet this thing has a 4890 so that means we will need graphics cards that are 10-20 times more powerful than the 4890. Consoles always get better treatment because of the homogeneous system specs. So if this thing supports the dx11 features and costs around $300 then im down to buy one.

tacoslave

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
oh and i forgot to mention that it will probably have games that look like the Samaritan demo (unreal 3 tech demo) if the 4890 (dx11 ) gpu is true.

warmon6

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
[citation][nom]crispyknight78[/nom]Looks like a Wii and a DS got a little too friendly and had a love child. How will motion sensitive stuff work? You try to swing that like a wii mote, and you'll make more broken electronics than you can shake a stick at.[/citation]

For all of you that are still in the dark..... here nintendo e3 web page that explains alot of the questions here about the wii u in terms of gameplay, controls, ect.

http://e3.nintendo.com/

For you, the the old wiimotes will work on this system. So no need to swing that controller. :p

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]tacoslave[/nom]oh and i forgot to mention that it will probably have games that look like the Samaritan demo (unreal 3 tech demo) if the 4890 (dx11 ) gpu is true.[/citation]
First, where did you hear 4890 from? All the leaks I've seen point to the rv770 @766 MHz, or somewhere around the performance of an HD4870.

Second, the rv770 isn't DX11 compatible, it's a DX10 GPU.

Third, the Samaritan Demo ran on Tri SLI GTX580's, and was DX11. So no, it wouldn't be capable of running "Samaritan Demo" type graphics...

elcentral

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
i actualy realy likes it i hope the prise arent to extreme, beside i hope the pc world get some cool stuff from this when they hack the controler.

Marnad

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009
Hmmm... It could finally make controlling a FPS on consoles "precise". Envision moving with the left thumbstick (rear trigger(s) to fire) and using the touch screen with one finger for aiming (controller to TV input, if possible) Just a thought...

kinggremlin

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
[citation][nom]dragonsqrrl[/nom]First, where did you hear 4890 from? All the leaks I've seen point to the rv770 @766 MHz, or somewhere around the performance of an HD4870.Second, the rv770 isn't DX11 compatible, it's a DX10 GPU.Third, the Samaritan Demo ran on Tri SLI GTX580's, and was DX11. So no, it wouldn't be capable of running "Samaritan Demo" type graphics...[/citation]

How many times does it need to be pointed out that you cannot compare the specs of a console and a PC as if the performance each gets out of its hardware will be the same? The overhead a console has to overcome is significantly lower than what a PC has to deal with while the console is also designed exclusively to be able to push pixels. It is also important to note that unlike the PC, console developers can try and push the hardware to its max with every game since they don't have to design to a lowest common denominator like they do with a PC. Ever looked into PC console emulation and seen the ridiculous specs it takes to emulate previous generation hardware like the PS2?

Will the new Wii be able to play games that look like the Samaritan Demo? Probably not, but neither can a PC, nor will it be able to any time soon. In 2012 I'd be willing to bet that if the Wii U specs are accurate, it will get closer to Samaritan graphics than any PC games will.

tacoslave

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
[citation][nom]dragonsqrrl[/nom]First, where did you hear 4890 from? All the leaks I've seen point to the rv770 @766 MHz, or somewhere around the performance of an HD4870.Second, the rv770 isn't DX11 compatible, it's a DX10 GPU.Third, the Samaritan Demo ran on Tri SLI GTX580's, and was DX11. So no, it wouldn't be capable of running "Samaritan Demo" type graphics...[/citation]

1. look at the gflops and compare them to the respective card
2. your right about that and i forgot you need a windows platform for dx feature on consoles its all about open gl.
3.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSm-wZ8u4Yc

ironmb

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
[citation][nom]kinggremlin[/nom]How many times does it need to be pointed out that you cannot compare the specs of a console and a PC as if the performance each gets out of its hardware will be the same? The overhead a console has to overcome is significantly lower than what a PC has to deal with while the console is also designed exclusively to be able to push pixels. It is also important to note that unlike the PC, console developers can try and push the hardware to its max with every game since they don't have to design to a lowest common denominator like they do with a PC. Ever looked into PC console emulation and seen the ridiculous specs it takes to emulate previous generation hardware like the PS2?Will the new Wii be able to play games that look like the Samaritan Demo? Probably not, but neither can a PC, nor will it be able to any time soon. In 2012 I'd be willing to bet that if the Wii U specs are accurate, it will get closer to Samaritan graphics than any PC games will.[/citation]

Listen to this guy everyone! He knows nothing wtf hes talking about. ROFL. I should slap the crap out of you. There is way in hell a PS3 is stronger than my PC. Benchmark for benchmark my PC would eat that little ps3/xbox up for dinner. You're on crack.

G

The controller is actually pretty good design, assuming it's comfortable to use.

For the hardcore players, it's another input method ( spell-casting, puzzles, a "mirror" to look behind corners, etc. ), for the casuals it's an addition to party gaming, or simply a way to free up the TV. Plus it makes other stuff, like browsing and going through pictures or movies easier. Heck, it could be fun with the family just drawing stuff ( what's the game where you try to guess what the drawing is? )

G

Remember the first impressions of the Wii? Everyone complained about the controller and how it will be used. Not everyone likes it, but for the most part, it worked for the masses. Not everyone games on the PC or on the Sony/Microsoft consoles, but when you mention the Wii, it seems like everyone knows what your talking about. The Wii is a chick magnet! Get a girl over and play the Xbox/Playstation/PC... good luck. I'll have a girl playing with my *nunchuck* controller in no time. With the Wii-U, I can still use my nunchuck controller. Have Sony/ Microsoft do that-- NEVER. They want you to keep buying "new" everything. Don't forget that the 360 was suppose to be backwards capable, but you have to download a dumb emulator, and it still would play all of the original Xbox games, and don't forget what Sony did. "Are you familiar with the "nunchuck" controller?" I know she is; if not, I'm sure it won't be too hard to teach her.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]kinggremlin[/nom]Ever looked into PC console emulation and seen the ridiculous specs it takes to emulate previous generation hardware like the PS2?[/citation]
You can't compare the speed of a code running on a emulated environment to the same code running natively, because unless the host machine to the emulated environment is a lot faster that the one running natively, the emulation will be slower. And the speed of the emulated environment it's also greatly dependent on the efficiency of the emulator.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]maverick knight[/nom]If it can play BF3, then is a win. I looks interesting. I would like more specs and demos, though[/citation]
Not playing BF3 on the old Wii didn't stop it slaying both Xbox 360 and PS3 in the sales arena, stop thinking so narrow.

If it gives a graphics boost then fine, but mostly I want to see media streaming from the network with lots of codec support, Bluray movie playback and keep the internet browser but give it Flash support.

Status
Not open for further replies.