Nintendo Wii Becomes Fastest Selling Console

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Why does everyone insist on the PC for core hard gamers? The PC, while may always have the edge as far as hardware is concerned, it is also the most expensive. I gave up on the PC because every time a new game came out i would have to upgrade something in my computer. At least with a console all the games run the same and i won't need to upgrade for another 3-4 years probably. As for the Wii, I gave up on that too.. I got tired of mediocre graphics and lack luster games. I was ultimately disappointed in the wii. mostly beacuse i found the controller didn't quite work like it was described too. Every game was the same.. waggle waggle waggle... so i sold it.... I miss motion controls but the wii was a let down..... I'm really looking forward to the move though, its what the wii should have been.

Well 30 million units is impressive, but i doubt they ever reach the level of ownership the ps2 has

shanky887614

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
most fo the wii consoles are sold to people who probably dont even now how many megabtyes there are in a gigabyte

bessically most of the people that have these are parents and old people

irh_1974

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
[citation][nom]iamthejester420[/nom]Why does everyone insist on the PC for core hard gamers? The PC, while may always have the edge as far as hardware is concerned, it is also the most expensive. I gave up on the PC because every time a new game came out i would have to upgrade something in my computer. At least with a console all the games run the same and i won't need to upgrade for another 3-4 years probably[/citation]
That is a myth.
The $2000 gaming PC myth is for those who want to run max settings and res much higher than HD.
But
Most Xbox 360 games are not full HD, most are 720p native and the frame rate is constant. To make a PC play games at the same frame rate and res as the Xbox 360 requires very modest system requirements.
Until very recently when I upgraded my graphics I had an old Radeon X1950 Pro which was running Crysis at 1024x768 and was relatively smooth, and although I cant buy the X1950 new anymore I can get an equivalent card in the HD4000 or HD5000 series for around $45 - hell spend $60 and get a card which is still over 2 years old but buries the Xbox 360 in performance. As far as CPU and RAM goes you dont need to get a Core i7 and 12Gb of DDR3, you can get by on 3 year old CPUs and RAM all the same.

Yes, a "gaming" PC is very expensive if you want top of the line. But if all you want it to do is match the performance of the console you can do a lot better for a lot less.

Kahless01

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
why would you need to know how many megabytes are in a gigabyte to play videogames??? thats like saying you need to know the atomic weight of a water molecule to flip burgers at mcdonalds. you must own a ps3 with that kind of elitist attitude. idiot. then you cant spell basically.

i loved my wii when i had someone to play with. but the single player experience sucks.

G

I think Nintendo learned its lesson with the Gamecube, and is applying what it learnt with the Wii. Back when Gamecube and PS2 were in war, PS2 won for being a best-seller and having the highest profits yet still, in terms of hard-core gaming, it wasn't as good as the Gamecube. The Gamecube was unmatched with the level of gaming graphics that is still comparable to some PS3 Xbox360 titles, yet it lost to PS2. Like it or not. Now, Nintendo is the winner with the Wii.

LORD_ORION

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
LOL, Wii Play. :)

The joke is Nintendo probably made that game just so they could get a free demographic report for the number of extra controllers they are selling. :D

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Rayman Raving Rabbids? LOL. Sadly, I did buy this game (discount bin at Wal Mart). I played about 5 minutes. The damn game made me sit like 5-feet from my TV, and I wasn't even sure what I was doing half the time.

Wii Play sold a lot because it came with a controller, and only added like $10 to the price. When you're walking out of the store with a new console and need a second controller, its a tempting buy. Of course, its a buy I would skip if I could do it over again, oh well.

danlw

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009
Say what you want about graphics. The fact of the matter is that once again, Nintendo revolutionized console gaming with the Wiimote, and left the others playing catch-up.

N64 - FIRST analog stick on a console
N64 - FIRST force feedback controller (rumble pack)
Gamecube - FIRST wireless controller (that actually worked - Wavebird)
Wii - FIRST motion controls

tburns1

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
[citation][nom]adikos[/nom]i camped a target in chicago, il for ours. my wife and i both wanted one. i was number 6 of 12.i credit the wii fit for helping me lose 70 pounds and keeping it off for the last 2-3 years now. i dont do it every day but i try to weigh in and do silly ones like hula and their mock taebo.otherwise we dont own a billion games on our system, alot of them are pretty child oriented but we have the main titles like the galaxy 1/2, mario party and kart.ill hand it to nintendo for doing something different and innovative. but who cant admire things they try like gameboy and virtual boy. in some ways the wii could be better but im sure nintendo has something better in store for next gen.[/citation]

Wow, the Wii fit actually worked for someone?!? I thought it was just a (fun) gimmick! Way to go!

ukgooey

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2009
A fit, young blond with enormous boobies, despite having all the required physical components, isn't necessarily entertaining. Just because something is highly specced, it doesn't mean it's necessarily great entertainment value. I find the Wii fun. Much like I did my old Speccy 48K. Games are supposed to be fun. It's just a bonus if they're pretty.

kerbe360

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
Congrats to Nintendo for yet another successful system. I will remember to wipe the dust off of mine when I go home. What a waste of money... could have gotten so many games for my 360 and PS3.

squidz66

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2010
The joke is on all commentators for having a vested interest in a 'platform'.
It's a console that sold well!.......
There's no need to argue it.

ronch79

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
We're at an age where graphics in general is 'good enough' for most folks and anything better or faster won't necessarily be leaps and bounds ahead. Even if both the X360 and PS3 are more powerful than the Wii, people think the Wii's capabilities are good enough. Plus there's something about the Wii which makes it look friendly and approachable even by non-enthusiasts. And yes, the price helps too.

BulkZerker

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
[citation][nom]danlw[/nom]Say what you want about graphics. The fact of the matter is that once again, Nintendo revolutionized console gaming with the Wiimote, and left the others playing catch-up.N64 - FIRST analog stick on a consoleN64 - FIRST force feedback controller (rumble pack)Gamecube - FIRST wireless controller (that actually worked - Wavebird)Wii - FIRST motion controls[/citation]
I think your wrong with the first analog stick. Sony developed the dual shock controller and started selling them about the time gran turismo came out, which I recall was still earlier than the late blooming n64

irh_1974

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
[citation][nom]BulkZerker[/nom]I think your wrong with the first analog stick. Sony developed the dual shock controller and started selling them about the time gran turismo came out, which I recall was still earlier than the late blooming n64[/citation]
Nintendo's N64 controller did beat the Sony PS2 controller by a whole year.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analog_stick
But
If you want to be really picky you could say that Nintendo's was actually digital and 5 days between the releases on 21st and 26th April 1996 would really constitute the same time. Although to be really anal about it Atari beat both of them by 14 years with their crappy analogue joystick.

redgarl

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
Nintendo is on a wave right now...

And for the peoples saying there is a lack of games...

No More Heroes 1 and 2
Madworld
Metroid 3
Metroid Collection
Sin's and Punishment 1 and 2
Demon Sword
Capcom VS Tatsunoko

+ all the Nintendo franchises... the Wii is actually a really good buy.

BulkZerker

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
[citation][nom]redgarl[/nom]Nintendo is on a wave right now...And for the peoples saying there is a lack of games...No More Heroes 1 and 2MadworldMetroid 3Metroid CollectionSin's and Punishment 1 and 2Demon SwordCapcom VS Tatsunoko+ all the Nintendo franchises... the Wii is actually a really good buy.[/citation]

So, metroid... and all the mario games, and Zelda. Hmm... is a system like the Wii gonna sell me on 30 titles that are hoenstly worth actually buying? GameFly + Wii = 3 months of gaming goodness

According to my equasions the Wii is not worth owning.

The Wii catered to the casual masses and they outright shoved their heads into the urin soaked rest homes, took a deep breath and said, "we're gonna love it here." They tapped markets deemed unworthy By Sony and MS. They won the numbrs game. But they will loose the longevity game because hoesntly the Wii is slowly dieing in terms of titles coming out for it. nintendo is hoping to hold onto the core fanbase with their first party titles, however you can only play so much mariocart before you glance to the hose next door, see someone playing Forza or GT, and then sigh realizing the pastures are greener in the other field.

Status
Not open for further replies.