Nintendo's Wii Scores Best Black Friday Ever

Status
Not open for further replies.

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
[citation][nom]blubbey[/nom]Aren't they the same figures as the 360? D: As in 960,000 in a week, 800,000 in a day?[/citation]

Reading comprehension fail: "Microsoft this week announced that last week had been the Xbox 360's best week ever. Despite being 7-years-old, the console saw sales of 960,000 units last week, with 800,000 of those sold in just 24 hours. Today, Nintendo joins the party..." then goes on to say it sold "only" 500,000 on Black Friday.

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - Yeah, that is the sole reason.
I've been playing and although I'm not too far into it I have to say it's really good so far!

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]bourgeoisdude[/nom]Jane,Where are you getting that the 360 is seven years old? It was released in November of 2005--just over 6 years ago.[/citation]

Oops, thanks! Maths-fail. All fixed. :)

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]bourgeoisdude[/nom]Jane,Where are you getting that the 360 is seven years old? It was released in November of 2005--just over 6 years ago.[/citation]
She is counting 2005, 2006, 2007, etc on her fingers, when she gets to 2011 it's 7 fingers so 7 years
Point to note Jane, you don't count the first year, but i'll forgive you just this once if you agree to do a Tom's Calendar, Miss June

SirGCal

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010

Actually, it's more accurately 7 or 8 years old cause it spent a few years in development... The tech it uses is even older from some aspects. But even in the 'best' of cases, it's a 6 year old PC...

Still, I hate consoles myself. And I own all of them... (well did, I've started taking them to gamestop and trading them for cash or just giving them away...) It wouldn't be bad if they built new units every few years to keep up with tech but they destroy gaming. Auto-targetting (Cause the controls are horrendous) for FPS games, graphics that suck compared to computers even when they are first released, and then they refusal to upgrade their hardware only because they know they can sell millions more and milk it... That's what gets me the most... MS could have built updated, and more capable units hundreds of times over. And I know of two versions that were investigated to some extent. But always comes down to 'Why bother, the public is still buying the one we make'. And they all play along.

Nintendo seems to be the one that tries to fight the rest and do their own thing. Surprisingly, being the weakest of them all (graphics/processing/etc), it really is the most fun to play and most successful globally across all age brackets. My grandma plays a tiny bit of Wii, she wouldn't even use the 360 or PS3 as a paper-weight... Wii games are simple, yet intelligent in many cases while using their unique control system that everyone is now familiar with. And Sony's and MS's attempts to catch up are just their way of continuing to milk their old products. I'll bet you $ to dohnuts that their 'next' units will require 'new' motion control systems and the $ people dumped on the 'kinetic' type specialty controls will be useless at that point. Not cause they have to but because they can make more money doing it that way.

Sorry for the rant, but that's why I hate consoles... Gamers now-a-days also have far less skill due to the auto-aiming systems games have. It's really sad all because MS refused to allow 'mouse' type controlling equipment cause they kept screaming "it's not a PC"... Hey MS. It is a PC. Almost exactly a PC... Just one with a specialized OS and limited control systems...

And if you think your games are un-copyable; you're truly morons... One of my neighbors had hundreds of ripped 360 games until I told his parents what he was actually doing (they were clueless about it being illegal, they thought he was buying them). It's cake to flash a $10 DVD player to read console disks (and no, I won't give the details, so don't ask. I do not support piracy...).

But Kudos to Nintendo for being the little fish (power/gpu wise) in the sea and kicking the shark's backside! I hope their new unit is as simple and effective is the Wii is. If so, they'll have another winner.

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
This is interesting to see these consoles selling like hotcakes still. Yes, the hardware is old we all know. But they are STILL making some great games. And until the next-generation consoles are clearly on the horizon, there is no reason to not buy them.

I'm kind of interested to see just how they can push this current hardware. I look at games like Gears of War 3, I think "damn" I can't believe they can push these graphics on such old hardware.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I can't believe that people are still buying the Wii. You'd think that anyone that wants one would already have one. To be fair though, Zelda is a huge franchise to Nintendo.

halls

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
The only game that has kept my Wii in use is Super Smash Brothers: Brawl. My friends and I have probably played at least 10,000 matches across all of our systems combined (judging by how we've seen the 5,000 match achievement on two systems).

Up until now, anyway. Skyward Sword is amazingly good.

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
[citation][nom]mobrocket[/nom]breadguy.... u are smart man. u realize it all about the games and if they have great gameplay they are worth it, regardless if its on the Wii, Xbox or PC... a good game is a good game[/citation]

Thanks. Yeah you are so right. It's all about game play. I've had some of the most fun playing Wii games all of things, even over 360 and my gaming PC.

warmon6

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
[citation][nom]halls[/nom]The only game that has kept my Wii in use is Super Smash Brothers: Brawl. My friends and I have probably played at least 10,000 matches across all of our systems combined (judging by how we've seen the 5,000 match achievement on two systems).Up until now, anyway. Skyward Sword is amazingly good.[/citation]

Sounds like me. :lol: "prepare your self."

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
I have a few thoughts here:

- "Best Black Friday Ever" is interesting. Combined with the 360 being able to say the same thing, this does suggest that, perhaps, the economy's a factor. (IIRC, in general, retail considered this year to have had the best Black Friday in sales history)
- Similarly, other factors fuel things here, though perhaps their impact might be over-blown: this would include the Wii hitting the $149US price point (I've heard plenty of rumors of some stores with $99 US Wiis, but yet to see one myself) as well as the much-noted release of Skyward Sword. Love it or hate it, flagship Zelda games have always been huge system-sellers for Nintendo, and this is the Wii's first exclusive. (for those that forgot, Twilight Princess was a ported GC game)
- Also telling is the reversal in sales figures: 500k for Nintendo, and 800k for Microsoft. In the first few years of sales, the Wii was outselling the 360 in America, though by not as huge a margin as it was globally. This clearly illustrates the noted decline in Wii sales, and how the 360 and PS3 are gradually closing the sales gap. This further affirms Nintendo's choice to press on and go ahead to release an 8th-generation system when Sony and Microsoft are still content to stay with their own machines.
[citation][nom]beardguy[/nom]I can't believe they can push these graphics on such old hardware.[/citation]
Well, keep in mind that about 90% of that isn't true "optimizing for the hardware" (the use of the same DirectX as PCs ensures that GPU-wise, it's a wash between the PC and 360, leaving the latter at a huge disadvantage) but rather selectively and carefully trimming LOD settings. The only real advantage a console has is that it always has a single, fixed graphics setting on fixed hardware, so it becomes feasible to actually particularly focus the settings on it. A skilled PC enthusiast can actually achieve the same sort of results on the PC, it's just generally time-consuming. But when developers know that it's a setting & hardware combo that will be identical across millions of players, they'll find it worthwhile to invest their own time into it.

[citation][nom]gm0n3y[/nom]I can't believe that people are still buying the Wii. You'd think that anyone that wants one would already have one. To be fair though, Zelda is a huge franchise to Nintendo.[/citation]
Well, keep in mind that this only brings us to somewhere between 90-95 million units sold; this is still significantly below the numbers posted by the PS1 and PS2, with 100+ and 150+ million respectively. And a key to the success of both was remaining popular long, long after launch.

[citation][nom]tranzparentl[/nom]I feel bad for 500,000 kids come Xmas day...[/citation]
I can see the complaints now: "Mom & Dad, why'd it take you FIVE YEARS to get me this?"

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]SirGCal[/nom]Actually, it's more accurately 7 or 8 years old cause it spent a few years in development... The tech it uses is even older from some aspects. But even in the 'best' of cases, it's a 6 year old PC...Still, I hate consoles myself. And I own all of them... (well did, I've started taking them to gamestop and trading them for cash or just giving them away...) It wouldn't be bad if they built new units every few years to keep up with tech but they destroy gaming. Auto-targetting (Cause the controls are horrendous) for FPS games, graphics that suck compared to computers even when they are first released, and then they refusal to upgrade their hardware only because they know they can sell millions more and milk it... That's what gets me the most... MS could have built updated, and more capable units hundreds of times over. And I know of two versions that were investigated to some extent. But always comes down to 'Why bother, the public is still buying the one we make'. And they all play along.Nintendo seems to be the one that tries to fight the rest and do their own thing. Surprisingly, being the weakest of them all (graphics/processing/etc), it really is the most fun to play and most successful globally across all age brackets. My grandma plays a tiny bit of Wii, she wouldn't even use the 360 or PS3 as a paper-weight... Wii games are simple, yet intelligent in many cases while using their unique control system that everyone is now familiar with. And Sony's and MS's attempts to catch up are just their way of continuing to milk their old products. I'll bet you $ to dohnuts that their 'next' units will require 'new' motion control systems and the $ people dumped on the 'kinetic' type specialty controls will be useless at that point. Not cause they have to but because they can make more money doing it that way.Sorry for the rant, but that's why I hate consoles... Gamers now-a-days also have far less skill due to the auto-aiming systems games have. It's really sad all because MS refused to allow 'mouse' type controlling equipment cause they kept screaming "it's not a PC"... Hey MS. It is a PC. Almost exactly a PC... Just one with a specialized OS and limited control systems...And if you think your games are un-copyable; you're truly morons... One of my neighbors had hundreds of ripped 360 games until I told his parents what he was actually doing (they were clueless about it being illegal, they thought he was buying them). It's cake to flash a $10 DVD player to read console disks (and no, I won't give the details, so don't ask. I do not support piracy...).But Kudos to Nintendo for being the little fish (power/gpu wise) in the sea and kicking the shark's backside! I hope their new unit is as simple and effective is the Wii is. If so, they'll have another winner.[/citation]

I can see why you'd hate consoles, you sure seem to love that keyboard. Good grief, that response was longer than the article.

xerroz

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
[citation]I can see the complaints now: "Mom & Dad, why'd it take you FIVE YEARS to get me this?"[/citation]
You do realize kids grow right? A kid could've been 2 years old when the Wii came out and has now grown and is now 8. Or they were born 2006 and got a wii just now, whatever. Wiis break too, kids don't take care of them too well

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
[citation][nom]xerroz[/nom]You do realize kids grow right? A kid could've been 2 years old when the Wii came out and has now grown and is now 8. Or they were born 2006 and got a wii just now, whatever. Wiis break too, kids don't take care of them too well[/citation]
You do realize that someone may have tried posting a facetous reply to a comment that was so irrelevant that it got down-voted into oblivion, right? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.