No Android 4.0 ICS For Xperia Play After All, Admits Sony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tab54o

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
4.0 is pretty crummy. Ive tried it at work and it was laggy and crashy. 4.03 or whatever is better but they added some annoying things like widgets they just bloat the whole thing up.

gibs0

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
4.0 is pretty crummy. Ive tried it at work and it was laggy and crashy. 4.03 or whatever is better but they added some annoying things like widgets they just bloat the whole thing up.

Stock Android 4.0.4 is awesome on my Verizon Galaxy Nexus. There's no bloat on stock and you can remove whatever you want. Don't claim that ICS is crappy because of carrier/manufacturer bloat or overlays.

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
[citation][nom]gibs0[/nom]Stock Android 4.0.4 is awesome on my Verizon Galaxy Nexus. There's no bloat on stock and you can remove whatever you want. Don't claim that ICS is crappy because of carrier/manufacturer bloat or overlays.[/citation]
Precisely.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
[citation][nom]gibs0[/nom]Stock Android 4.0.4 is awesome on my Verizon Galaxy Nexus. There's no bloat on stock and you can remove whatever you want. Don't claim that ICS is crappy because of carrier/manufacturer bloat or overlays.[/citation]
Amen brother.

festerovic

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
Just got ICS on my sony S tablet, its my first experience with ICS. I also have Droid 2, and the difference between Gingerbread and ICS is incredible. I wish nothing but ICS on all androids, make it so #1.

SneakySnake

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009

Well yes he can claim that, because for the 80% of users that will be using ICS not on a Nexus device, that is the ICS sandwich experience that they are getting. If 80% of iOS devices had bloatware, I think that would be a negative thing in reviews of iOS.

Google should have never allowed custom versions of android. Everything should be 'nexus'. Open and do what you want. However google allowed OEM's to lockdown and do what they want with ICS, therefore we have to grade ICS based off of that.

sam_p_lay

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2010
SneakySnake hit the nail on the head. What I want to know is why any given handset, in this case the Xperia Play, will run Android 2.3 smoothly but not Android 4. Android 4 was meant to be a major step forward in efficient resource usage but it appears to be the opposite - every new version needs faster hardware to produce acceptable performance.

I don't believe the excuse for not giving the Xperia Play the update though. Up until the Xperia S, Sony haven't been using dual core processors, and only the Xperia Ray and Xperia Arc S were even using high clock frequency single core processors. Everything else is using the Qualcomm QSD8x50 (1GHz Scorpion CPU core with Adreno 200 graphics) or MSM8x55 (same but with Adreno 205). Every other handset in that list has the same specs as the Xperia Play.

Xperia Play: MSM8255 with 512mb RAM
Xperia Arc: MSM8255 with 512mb RAM
Xperia Neo: MSM8255 with 512mb RAM
Xperia Mini: MSM8255 with 512mb RAM
Xperia Mini Pro: MSM8255 with 512mb RAM
Xperia Pro: MSM8255 with 512mb RAM
Xperia Active: MSM8255 with 512mb RAM

I don't know whether manufacturers are lying about how much muscle is required to run ICS smoothly (certainly looks to be the case with Sony) or if Android 4 really does need serious muscle to run smoothly. Either way, whatever phone replaces my crappy HTC Wildfire (2.2), it sure as hell won't be any kind of Android.

mindless728

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
@sam_p_lay I have an optimus V that is rooted and running ICS, it has a 600MHz single core Armv6 processor and it works just fine with it. It doesn't take that much to run it smoothly tbh

kbarber29

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2009
Well I have an Xperia Play and this sucks! Also, I have been waiting for a year, still waiting for Sony to release the PS Store here in America so I can play extra playstation games on my Xperia Play!

kbarber29

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2009
I feel like Mal in Firefly when his forces gave up on Serenity Valley and left him behind. Sony, we believed in you! Why did you give up on us Play users?

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
many phones with the same specs have android 4.0 running stably. They most likely want to release a new phone and use android 4 as a selling point.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
this is what stopped me from going android up until a few weeks ago (was still with a palm pre), I decided if going android the nexus was the way to go to get updates as they come out, these hardware and phone companies hold your device hostage and make you buy new hardware even when your old hardware will work just fine because it sells more phones... I like my Samsung galaxy nexus but i better get every update for at least the next two years or I'll be trying out windows phone. assuming things go as they are supposed to and i get 5.0 as it is released and any other updates until may 2014 then whoever is making the nexus will get my money here's hoping google keeps the nexus line what it is supposed to be a pure unbloated OS ... i feel like these custom overlays and cages manufacturers install are worse than most laptop bloatware and makes me wish i could do what i do for desktops and buy the parts to build my phone with a clean os

G

Ics drains battery out the wazoo. Doesnt even support vpn --- known bug. Already tried 6 or 7 custim roms from xda on my arc like a month ago. Whoever waits for stock sony malware doesnt need ics t begin with!

Now, i have my sony arc running 2,3,4 rooted... have iphone skin (espier launcher) that works beautifully, albeit some crashing if i try to crash it by button mashing., i found a sweet ics keyboard (search on redmondpie).

So in terma of ics... im already there anyways for my liking...

Absolutely no reason to switch frm GB because a handful of crappy apps are ics only.

I will pass on sony bloatware, crappy battery and useless rumourmill upgrade schedlules like this. Their phones are not that nice anyways and feel like cheap plastic.

sam_p_lay

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2010
mindless728 rooting the phone certainly does seem to be the way to get the most out of it but can you honestly get smooth, responsive gameplay on Angry Birds? I certainly don't consider the game to be worth the hype, but just as a performance benchmark. When you unlock the phone and get to the desktop, does the clock take a second to update the time from the last time you unlocked your phone? We're talking about usable performance or actually smooth performance? If it's the latter then maybe I need to root my Wildfire.

pliskin1

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2010
Shame, I was going to get an Xperia Play 4g as my first smartphone, but the 400mb onboard memory (Really!?, It's a gaming phone!) and no future updates is making me turn my head. Guess i'll just stick with my dumbphone, at least that fits in my pocket.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
More reasons to pressure Google into coding a lot more efficiently - if a phone released about a year ago can't run the latest OS, then there's something definitely wrong with the way its development is going.

Consider this - if your PC that you bought last could not run Windows 8? Everyone would be up in arms about this. Case in point, Windows Vista.

Status
Not open for further replies.