No Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition for Steam or GoG

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

IndignantSkeptic

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
Steam should never have been run by Valve or any one company. it should have been run by a consortium.

Plus I look forward to the day when we can buy a game once and play it on any capable device including smartphones, tablets, desktops, whatever. Make it happen.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]sharpless78[/nom]DA is a console game, no doubt about it.[/citation]

Really? DA Origins is a console game?

The game that was built for the PC first?

Are you fucking kidding me?

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]IndignantSkeptic[/nom]Steam should never have been run by Valve or any one company. it should have been run by a consortium.Plus I look forward to the day when we can buy a game once and play it on any capable device including smartphones, tablets, desktops, whatever. Make it happen.[/citation]

Yes, Steam shouldn't have been run by the people who spent money to develop it, BRILLIANT!

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
BG/BG2 were good but for multiplayer they were horrid. Always had to stick together even when it didn't make sense (like in a city). Diablo II was much better for multiplayer although it had no roleplaying.

I don't have a problem with it being limited to Beamdog as more competition among distribution channels is a good thing but it would be better to have cross-platform support.

Would be nice if the original Infinity engine was open-sourced. It has several limitations and bugs that annoy modders (yes, people still make mods for BG/BG2, etc.) However, GemRB is a good third-party clone: http://www.gemrb.org

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]sabarjp[/nom]Why would you need or want that in a D&D game? That defeats the whole purpose of role playing. Having played BG1 and BG2 very recently, it is utterly trivial to memorize the items and stats of what you currently have. Keep "console-itis" out of real PC games, imo.[/citation]

probably because of people like me who have a seriously bad memory, its to the point that i had to keep a note pad by me when playing older rpgs so i don't lose my place, and god forbid you take any amount of time off from playing the games...

now this one here is a bit just for me, but many old rpgs can be border line impossible to play without a walkthrough or strategy guide just because of how abstract some elements of the games can be.

and its good haveing some modern conveniences in games, to make menus more navigateable,

im not saying that there needs to be a big eff you marker to where you have to go with a dotted hot pink trail to it, but knowing the general direction you have to go, possibly a marker on a map (i mean like a real in game if the world was real map map, not a shows every detail of the world map... i cant make that make sense, you either know what i mean or you dont) so if you are away for a week or two you know where to go.

john_4

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
[citation][nom]IndignantSkeptic[/nom]Steam should never have been run by Valve or any one company. it should have been run by a consortium.Plus I look forward to the day when we can buy a game once and play it on any capable device including smartphones, tablets, desktops, whatever. Make it happen.[/citation]
Well said

Antimatter79

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
A minor disappointment that it won't be on Steam but I won't let that stop me from buying the enhanced edition of my all time favorite RPG. I'm just glad there isn't a separate client to download/play it. That would probably be a deal breaker, in which case I'd wait to see if it would come to Steam later.

G

Dragon Age 2 was most definitely made for consoles. Dragon Age: Origins feels much more like an old school PC party system RPG to me than any RPG in recent years.

beoza

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
I don't care if it's on steam or not. I loved this game when it first came out, and I plan on getting it again when it's relaunched. I hope they give the same treatment to Icewind Dale 1 and 2, as well as other games, if BG:EE proves to be a success.

Burodsx

Distinguished
May 31, 2009
[citation][nom]detrius[/nom]No steam = no purchase.[/citation]

Completely agree. If it's not a game that I must have NOW, then I'll wait for it to hit Steam.

G

Let me see here... *click, click* Oh, plenty of money in my bank account. I would like this game, and i am willing to spend money for it. Hmm.. oh *click* They have made it a major hassle for me to get this game.. *click, click, type, click* Downloading the game from a torrent site.. Grinning at lame companies whining about piracy.

If its more convinent and easy to go the piracy route guess what will happen? Its the same with tv-shows were i live. A lot of them come out only on DVD here, while the torrent sites give me 720P. More than willing to pay for the product... But really, spend money to get an a lower quality product than the torrentsites?

AsTheDeath

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2011
Oh come on... I understand that it's convenient to have all of your games on one store, and I have a lot of games on Steam myself, but threatening with no-buys and even piracy is just stupid. It seems as if it's not heavily DRM protected, so you should be able to burn the download on a disk if you want to keep a physical copy around, buying it through their store should be easy enough (not more difficult than via Steam or GOG).

If you're not making your decision based on the product/the game... especially if you think that piracy is a decent alternative... what can I say.

G

"No steam = no purchase."

What is this, a forum of Valve employees? I have almost 50 games on Steam and I see no advantage to using it compared to any other digital purchase experience out there (and there are many).

Explain to me how Steam makes the experience any better than simply buying the game digital direct from the publishers web site, having it in two minutes, done??

What does Steam provide beyond this? Nothing. It's faster than going to the store to buy a boxed copy, that's all, and you don't need Steam to do this.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
Gog or I don't buy today. Congrats to the devs, they just made this game one of the most pirated games in recent history. This will be cracked in minutes, and released. As small as it will be you won't even need P2P or usenet. These people are not too bright. Instead of a release everywhere they're limiting their sales from the other two major grabs (DRM infested Steam, which I hate but others seem to like, and NO DRM gog.com). For $20 you can get a LOT of sales. But with no other option, & forcing a client/DRM you'll lose a lot of people to a quick google search and "rapidshare" "uploaded" etc... VERY DUMB. I'd venture to guess you could DL this before they sell it on Beamdog. This is SAD.

This really sucks, because since they've screwed themselves out of my wallet and I suspect craploads more people (who needs yet another client via beamdog), I fear my dreams of BG3 is in danger of never happening. If they fail with BG1, BG2 enhanced is also at risk. This is very sad. The 1st was supposed to lead to 2nd, then finally a brand new BG3. Bummer. They'd better get this on steam/gog quickly. What excuse is there for no GOG/Steam? Even gog has said Witcher2 DRM FREE version was the least pirated...LOL. There's no point in releasing an DRM free copy from pirates perspective. The steam one was cracked immediately however...ROFL. A drm free game gets no attention from pirates (nothing to crack, so nothing to be proud of releasing as the dev noted) What are they afraid of? Steam has DRM (which is cracked in minutes anyway, just like beamdog will be). Attaching your game to a specific client is DUMB. You could have had a pre-order from me. I digress...Torchlight 2 still doesn't have my money either. I guess they'll have to get the msg eventually. When sales slow to a crawl after pre-orders they'll have to go multi-platform or just not make money. Eventually their own wallet no growing, should force them to go after my wallet and yours too :) I'm sure Diablo3 sales have tanked after pre-sales and 1st day buyers. But unfortunately for them I'll NEVER buy as they tied theirs to a RMAH that can't be removed for offline play ever. That game won't be sold for 10yrs as the old 2 were. I think sales are pretty much over for it. If it had lan etc, and no RMAH, they would have sold 20mil copies instead of ~7mil and it would keep selling for a decade like the first two.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]whatyoutalkingabout[/nom]"No steam = no purchase."What is this, a forum of Valve employees? I have almost 50 games on Steam and I see no advantage to using it compared to any other digital purchase experience out there (and there are many). Explain to me how Steam makes the experience any better than simply buying the game digital direct from the publishers web site, having it in two minutes, done?? What does Steam provide beyond this? Nothing. It's faster than going to the store to buy a boxed copy, that's all, and you don't need Steam to do this.[/citation]

well
1) haveing it all in one place
2) relatives refuse to give money, and if money is the only option, giftcards. steam is the least intrusive service (gog not included) that also has giftcards and new games.

Status
Not open for further replies.