A new device shouldn't give you problems, not at all. Now you can connect an external mouse and try the following to see if it will fix the problem. However you might well take the device back and get them to give you a correctly working one.
Touchpad not working? Try the following and see if it fixes it...
1. Go into "Control Panel".
2. Click "Hardware and Sound".
3. Now click "Mouse and Touchpad".
4. Now go to "Additional mouse options".
5. The Mouse Properties window will open. In here click on your device.
6. Make sure your device is set to enabled. If it isn't then click "Enable Device".
7. Exit both that screen and "Control Panel".