No HDMI signal on HD-ready TV

snackanije

Commendable
Sep 4, 2016
Hello, I hope I'm in the right place for this.

I want to connect my Apple TV to my old HD-ready Daewoo TV (Model: DLP-42C1). I plug it in with an HDMI cable but nothing happens. The TV's input is "HDMI", and it says "No signal" - both before and after I've connected the Apple TV to the TV. Nothing happens that indicates the TV recognizes it's connected to the Apple TV, no response at all that I can see. I know the Apple TV works as it's recently been connected to a different TV via HDMI (also old and HD-ready).

I would be so happy if I could get this to work, and appreciate any help or advice that you could give me.

snackanije

Commendable
Sep 4, 2016

I believe it's from 2008, and I think I bought it that same year. It's barely been used.
Making sure the AppleTV was on before switching TV to HDMI didn't make a difference now, but I'll keep it in mind when I try a different cable. I've tried a different cable before, but that was when I unsuccessfully tried to connect the TV to a MacBook. I tried two different cables then. Turned out the MacBook had some fault that made it incompatible, but maybe it's worth mentioning that this TV also then didn't make even the slightest hint that it recognized that it's HDMI port was connected to something and also had no effect on the MacBook (unlike the other TV I tried this with). I think that's why I now didn't think to try a third cable, as I was hung up on the idea that the problem was something else, but yes I'll buy and try a different cable from the one I'm using now and cross my fingers that it works.

Update:

I've now tried a third cable and it's still not working :/

I'd appreciate anyone with any idea on how to make it work. Maybe even alternative ways to connect the AppleTV to the TV.

Connect the Apple TV to a newer TV and set the video resolution to 1366 x 768 which is the TVs max input resolution. If the native resolution is lower in the manual set it to that. Then try it on your Daewoo TV.
If that doesn't help there may be a problem with the HDMI input on the TV.
Try it with the Apple TV off and the TV on too. It may take 5-10 seconds for the TV to produce a picture.

snackanije

Commendable
Sep 4, 2016

Thank you sm for your tip, but now I've tried a few different resolutions and unfortunately it's still not working.

Anyone know an alternative way of connecting the Apple TV to the TV? (that doesn't involve an HDMI port that might be out of function?)

G

Some HD Ready (720p) TVs can have problems with HDMI. My Technika doesn't seem to like my second computer being connected via HDMI - this really isn't a massive issue as VGA is perfectly adequate for me.