No internet due to rural area, please help

Shellylynn

Prominent
May 29, 2017
I moved to an area with no internet or cable service available so I purchased an IPad through Verizon so I could have some way to get email, occasionally surf the web and my son is a gamer. I thought by purchasing the unlimited data plan it would allow us to watch (stream) TV and somehow let my son hook up his ps4 through my IPad. Well it has been 2 months and I have researched and talked to Apple, Verizon and whomever will listen and I can't seem to figure it out. The cable guy said I could hook my IPad up to the TV but my particular model doesn't support that. I'm so lost !! Please help me all I want to do is watch TV, look stuff up on the web and my son play his PS4.

Solution
A microcell really won't do much to overcome the relative slowness of your cellular based connection. It will help with local signal strength, but will still be plagued by the same warts otherwise.

Rural options, other than cellular, include satellite or good ol' fashion dial-up, neither of which is good for gaming or streaming content.

Do you know if your local phone service provider provides DSL connectivity to homes?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Do you also have a Verizon cell phone on your "unlimited" contract? If so, enable it as a personal hotspot and then connect your other devices to the hotspot's wireless network.

Keep in mind, all devices will be limited by the speed of your cellular service when connecting to the 'Net.

Shellylynn

Prominent
May 29, 2017

Shellylynn

Prominent
May 29, 2017
Thank you so much for responding. If the Verizon jet pack is the same as a hotspot the young man told me my son wouldn't be able to play his online games with it because of the speed, he also said after we used 10mb of data it would be even slower. I have one of those old school flip phones and it only has phone calling and texting, no internet. I did have a fancy Samsung galaxy but I traded it for this IPad so I could see it better. What about one of those signal boosters or extenders would that make it faster or does the cell tower just have a standard speed?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
A microcell really won't do much to overcome the relative slowness of your cellular based connection. It will help with local signal strength, but will still be plagued by the same warts otherwise.

Rural options, other than cellular, include satellite or good ol' fashion dial-up, neither of which is good for gaming or streaming content.

Do you know if your local phone service provider provides DSL connectivity to homes?

Solution