No Linux, No Open Beta for Rage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glorian

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2008
"If there are hundreds of thousands of Linux users playing Quake Live when we are done with Rage, that would certainly influence our decision"

Enough is said with that statement right there. There simply isn't a big enough market for it, and if it pisses off the 2% of the gaming community, so what no loss to them.

One should know better that if you plan on using Linux as your main OS you are going to have things that are just not supported, that includes games.

kairoq

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2009
I could be wrong but I thought that the plan was the same as other id games, after a couple years id tech 5 and the source for rage will eventually become open source once its old enough and the community can create a port if they wish.

kairoq

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2009
I could be wrong but I thought that the plan was the same as other id games, after a couple years id tech 5 and the source for rage will eventually become open source once its old enough and the community can create a port if they wish.

randomizer

Distinguished
Basically they have no intention of porting to a platform where they don't make money. Typical of most developers. Understandable from a business perspective but still annoying that they only support the monopoly.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]maigo[/nom]PC & Mac support but no Linux, first time THATS ever happened[/citation]

Ha...
I'd think the Macintosh gaming community would be smaller than the Linux gaming community.
Considering the only platofrm which could play the game is their dual socket tower and the best GPU you can get from mac is a 512mb 4870...

This is dissapointing regardless.

Soul_keeper

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
Every game that doesn't have linux support won't see my money.
I might be in the few percentile, but I speak with my wallet :)

Doesn't bother me too much, the only games I really play anymore are years old or completely open source.

scuba dave

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
[citation][nom]anamaniac[/nom]Ha...I'd think the Macintosh gaming community would be smaller than the Linux gaming community.Considering the only platofrm which could play the game is their dual socket tower and the best GPU you can get from mac is a 512mb 4870...This is dissapointing regardless.[/citation]

Mac's have had the option of the GTX 285 for awhile now. :/
Just saying.

But regardless, I think it's not very wise.. It wouldn't take all THAT much effort to port it over..

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
Isn't Linux great for it's community? I don't use Linux much, if ever, but if I did, I would expect games to be ported by independant groups, not by the companies themselves.

G

Why bother with OSX then if not Linux? Nobody buys a Mac to game on, and a marginally adequate Mac costs as much as a really nice high-end PC. Surely great effort goes into the Mac port, Linux is easier to develop for than OSX. They could just support WINE rather than native Linux, and it would all be good.

deltatux

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
No Linux port = fail. 'nuff said.

It doesn't affect me too much 'cuz I'm not one of those if it ain't on Linux, I won't get it. I probably might get it on Windows if it indeed is a good game. Hey, at least it's an OpenGL game, so that's a plus...

Status
Not open for further replies.